Thread: laptop no display-LEDs ok

Exclamation laptop no display-LEDs ok

one of my customer's Hp (dont remember the exact model. it's an old model. maybe >3 or 4 years old) laptop, gave NO display. either in LCD nor in external VGA. but all the LEDs are ON (power, wifi,HDD) and the fan started for <5 seconds and turned off. can anyone tell me what could be the problem? i suspected the MAX power IC and while verifying its voltage(refering to its datasheet), i mistakenly shorted 2 pins. now the laptop is complately DEAD as the MAX main power IC is not at all working(because of my mistake). i dont know what am i gonna tell the customer. i couldnt even get that IC in our local market. i am a bit frustrated. i wouldnt worry if i could atleast return the laptop, as it was. anyhow, that's not the issue. can anyone give me any tips regarding this issue?
    1.CPU FAN on for few seconds
    2.ALL LEDs constantly ON
    3.No display either in LCD and external VGA

Default Re: lapto-no display-LED ok

did you try turning it on with just the power plugged in and no battery? sometimes when the battery dies it can cause some wickedly weird things to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Also, HP laptops from that era are known for crapping out. Especially the ones with nvidia graphics. They had a huge recall on most every model number. I have seen countless cases of this and almost always I have had to replace the motherboard.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

It sounds like it might have been the infamous BGA GPU chip failure problem. ...though it sounds like that's a moot point now...bad luck on shorting the leads.

As for what to tell your customer, honesty is always the best policy. I would lead with whatever you decide you think the original problem was (whatever it was, I think it probably would have required a replacement MBB), then explain that you made a mistake in further testing and that it does not work at all. Best case, they'll accept that it was hosed to begin with and not pursue it any further. Worst case, they'll make you pay to replace it (well, I guess worst worst case they would sue you for incompetence, but let's hope they're not a**holes). Maybe when you're done explaining the situation, offer to replace it with a similarly performing laptop and move all their data over. IMO it's better to loose a few hundred dollars and retain a good customer then run the risk of losing the customer and possibly tarnishing your professional reputation (depending on the customer's reaction).
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: laptop no display-LEDs ok

I agree with x88x. A loyal and happy customer can be worth a lot in the long run.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: laptop no display-LEDs ok

Don't think they are coming back as it has almost been a month.

In case anybody else was looking for the info.

This is a common problem with the DV6000 for sure, and DV9000 models I believe. The problem is the motherboard, like x88x has said. Once you are to the point of the display not coming up and it doing its 5sec power up then restart, your laptop is done. I have the DV6000 and have just been too lazy to fix.

Cheapest mobo I found is 100 bucks, but you have to make sure the Part Numbers match exactly or you may have just wasted yours or your customers money. Also the wireless card is known to fail along with the mobo (from what I've read).

If you are going to be replacing the motherboard anyways, there are a few vids on youtube that show "fixes" for getting the GPU to sit properly again. This is obviously done at own risk.

Good Luck
    Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::