Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fallout New Vegas

Default Re: Fallout New Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Just saw this on CAD. Pretty hilarious...though I actually ended up killing everyone in there because I turned in a quest that I shouldn't have, given my earlier actions.

You can just use a stealth boy and take everything anyway. It's pretty stupid.

I played the first two games as a kid and Fallout 3 was a bit of a kick in the balls if I'm honest - it was a good game, but just missing that special something that made Fallout what it was. New Vegas has mostly fixed that.

It's very good.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

New Vegas is far more boring. There must be a thousand buildings in-game that you can't even enter. At least in FO3, you had all of Washington DC to explore. I've been there and done all of it. I'm actually really annoyed by how little combat there is. I have it set for 'survivor mode' and 'Very Hard' and still it can be a long time before I ever come across anyone to shoot at. I've even downloaded some mods that try to add more bad guys, but it's not enough.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

I've only put in a dozen or so hours into New Vegas due to work time constraints, but I've been loving it. It kept what was good about Fallout 3 while improving a lot of what needed fixing.

Also potentially relevant, I found this well-done Fallout fan film: Fallout: Nuka Break.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

I 'trialled' New Vegas to see if it was worth buying and although quality suffered due to the quality of the download (had choppy graphics and such which I know wouldn't have persisted in the proper game) I still didn't find it enjoyable enough to make me want to rush out and buy it. I hadn't played any of the Fallout series until just before xmas which is odd considering my love for turn based strategy classics, so I rectified it with a purchase of the original trilogy.

Played and completed the first one and am currently part-way through tactics (though I'm not playing very actively) Unfortunately the impression I got from New Vegas was that the FPS genre just doesn't sit right with the original releases. It's the difference between fighting 10 enemies for control of an entire city knowing anyone of them could easily kill you with a few lucky shots, and running and jumping around a massive wasteland hiding from enemies while you busily heal and then shooting in their general direction for a while before repeating the process.

Sure that's not the expected or fun way to play the game but the formula for TB-strategy and FPS really are THAT different! So yeah, I'm not going to buy it, or at least not until it finds it's way into the bargain bin in a few years. There are a lot of other FPS out there that I'm waiting to buy so it's not that I don't like the genre but this particular one doesn't sit right with me after playing the originals.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED View Post
    Also potentially relevant, I found this well-done Fallout fan film: Fallout: Nuka Break.
    Pure awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Played and completed the first one and am currently part-way through tactics (though I'm not playing very actively) Unfortunately the impression I got from New Vegas was that the FPS genre just doesn't sit right with the original releases. It's the difference between fighting 10 enemies for control of an entire city knowing anyone of them could easily kill you with a few lucky shots, and running and jumping around a massive wasteland hiding from enemies while you busily heal and then shooting in their general direction for a while before repeating the process.
    You probably won't like Fallout 3 either then. And fwiw, there is plenty of 'fighting 10 enemies for control of an entire city' in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. If you play it right (ie, staying away from certain areas until you've improved your skills a bit more), you shouldn't ever need to be constantly running from enemies. Anyway, not trying to convince you to go back and play it if you don't want to; just rambling.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Well like I said, I just think it's not my cup of tea so I probably won't go back to it :p I'm certainly not going to spend a penny on the FPS titles until I've at least completed the rest of the original trilogy (only completed the first one so far and now working on tactics) Really though I haven't been playing much of anything lately so it'll be some time I think

Well like I said, I just think it's not my cup of tea so I probably won't go back to it :p
    ...so play it in a way that is your cup of tea! What I love about this game is that it's another RPG-FPS. Make a character that isn't the run'n'gun type and enjoy!

+1 for snipers.

Anyone have to reload due to bugs?
    1) I've had my gun start firing repeatedly with no way to stop or put it away. Equipping another gun just makes that one start randomly firing.
    2) Characters I was talking to (or about to) randomly ragdoll-flying into the sky and forever disappearing...
    3) Objects blinking.
    4) Certain events not taking place like they should...had to try one specific one multiple times (while wearing the dino-snipers hat if you know what I mean ) because the guy just wouldn't shoot like he was supposed to.

I'm sure I'll discover more as I continue playing. I wish I could log these and collect a bounty from Bethesda...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    4) Certain events not taking place like they should...had to try one specific one multiple times (while wearing the dino-snipers hat if you know what I mean ) because the guy just wouldn't shoot like he was supposed to.
    I didn't feel like investigating this one, but out of the random citizen I chose to bring with me I got it right.
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    ...so play it in a way that is your cup of tea! What I love about this game is that it's another RPG-FPS. Make a character that isn't the run'n'gun type and enjoy!

+1 for snipers.

Anyone have to reload due to bugs?
    2) Characters I was talking to (or about to) randomly ragdoll-flying into the sky and forever disappearing...
    I am a big fan of long range engagements in all sorts of FPS and RPGs actually, often going with scoped rifles or at least longbows! I find it makes the game rather more realistic as quite frankly you'll never win a fight if you have an MG and so do 15 enemies... I figure with sniping, especially in the real sense of an actual sniper rifle, you're using the long range to out-distance your enemies weapons and therefore playing on a real advantage. The way I see it, if you get shot a few times, you'll be dead, so playing in a way that minimises incoming fire is always the sensible way to go!

As for the issues, I assume you're using a store-bought or legal downloaded version so this probably won't help but when I trialled the game it was very wierd. The guy who does the tutorial and stat selection bit at the start was really messed up and his head kept rotating endlessley with his neck being the origin of movement. Was very wierd and I put it down to a crack or similar that was required to run the game.

Again I do not support or condone piracy and I do NOT have an illegal copy of this game...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I am a big fan of long range engagements in all sorts of FPS and RPGs actually, often going with scoped rifles or at least longbows! I find it makes the game rather more realistic as quite frankly you'll never win a fight if you have an MG and so do 15 enemies... I figure with sniping, especially in the real sense of an actual sniper rifle, you're using the long range to out-distance your enemies weapons and therefore playing on a real advantage. The way I see it, if you get shot a few times, you'll be dead, so playing in a way that minimises incoming fire is always the sensible way to go!
    Sniping is actually my preferred style of play as well, and both Fallout 3 and New Vegas work well for sniper characters. Especially New Vegas. If you can find all the pieces, eventually you can have a very long range sniper rifle, with an lightened stock (ie, it's lighter so you can carry more stuff) and a silencer. With the silencer, usually if they cant see you, they won't be able to tell where the shot came from, and most things I was able to take out with one headshot.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV