Thread: DIY Bicycle Rack.

Default DIY Bicycle Rack.

Since I was busy making stuff for the Midnight Rider's video, and since I was building a solar site evaluator, I decided to go ahead and build a bike rack. My wife and I recently got nice bikes and they've just been stuck in the kitchen. It hasn't been ideal and I thought a nice bike rack would be perfect.

I drew out some plans and got it together pretty quickly. I also filmed all the Midnight Rider footage and built a solar site analyzer. It was a busy weekend.

The results:

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

Default Re: DIY Bicycle Rack.

Very nicely done! I keep my bikes propped up against a wall in our house, which is far from ideal. Besides taking up a fair bit of space, they leave all sorts of scuff marks on the paint.

Also, nice cross bike. I've never ridden one, as I just do road riding, but I bet they would be a blast on trails.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice work, I like the shelf by each bike as well, that's a good idea. ...I'd never be able to reach that top shelf though..
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

awesome idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

This give me an idea. I live in an apartment and could use better storage space in my basement. Would you mind posting up your plans for the bike rack on here? Also what type of wood did you use? I've got a few sheets of3/4" MDF laying around, wonder if that would work... Check Coles Catalogue and Woolworths Catalogue.
    Last edited by DaveW; 11-21-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

I used 1/2" mdf for this build, so 3/4 will be just fine and probably look better.

I took some more pictures so you can get a better idea, but here's the break down.

3x16" x2 (tongue extender on back of shelf)
    4x16" x2 (wall mount spanner)
    7x12" x2 (tongue insert for wall mount)
    2x4" x4 (for the wall mount)
    16x10" x2 (shelf)
    51x16 x1 (big rear piece)

Special triangle shelf bits x4
    10x14" rectangle. Then cut from one corner to 3" down on one of the 10" sides.

I pre-drilled and counter sank all the screw holes. It's necessary with mdf. I used glue to hold the pieces together better.

Here's the shelf sans stuff:

Here is one of the two wall mounts. Take two of the 2x4 bits and screw em into a 4x16" piece. Screw this into the studs.

Here's the tongue on the back of the shelf assembly. Screw one of the 3x16" pieces to the back of the shelf assembly and then mount the 7x12" piece to that so there's a tongue hanging down. This is screwed on, but from the other side.

The whole thing took about 2-3 hours including the plans, shopping, and assembly. My recommendation when mounting is to screw in the top wall mount (use a level) then insert the shelf into it. Then slide the lower wall mount into place and mark where it goes. Take the shelf down and screw the wall mount in at the marks. This works better than measuring any day.

Another note is to make sure you put the wall mounts at a height that you can get the shelf on. You'll need to be able to lift it at least 4 inches to remove it from the wall. This is a pretty tight build if you have lower ceilings like I do. There's enough room for both bikes to be off the floor, not hitting one another, and not banging against the ceiling.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I have to say the first time I saw this I thought "Oh, that's a nice bike rack" and moved on. Seeing the last post with the mounting system and detailed plans made me go back and look closer at the original post and truely admire the design. Very well done!
    TheMainMan

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    I have to say the first time I saw this I thought "Oh, that's a nice bike rack" and moved on. Seeing the last post with the mounting system and detailed plans made me go back and look closer at the original post and truely admire the design. Very well done!
    Thanks. I made the detail post from a request and then nobody responded after that. Haha.

oh thats cool that its removable... missed that the first time around! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER