Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android Tablet Roundup

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Android Tablet Roundup

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=542]Android Tablet Roundup[/drupal]

By: TheGreatSatan

I purchased two Android Tablets for this round up. They are both 7 inches (16:9 800x400) and weigh less than 12 ounces. They have 2GB hard drives of which 900MB is taken up by the Android OS (Version 1.6). There doesn't seems to be any sellers through normal channels, so I bought both of these units on eBay for about $130 each. Read more...

Default Re: Android Tablet Roundup

These sound rather pathetic from the review. Although these seem like preemptive Chinese knock offs rather than proper tables that would be available through normal retail channels, so there might be some hope yet.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I'll wait for the NotionInk Adam, thanks. Just a few more months now.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I assume the Archos model is probably a good one.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I have the Eken that was reviewed. There are definitely some deficiencies in the hardware they are using to cobble these tablets together. Most of the more expensive units have faster CPU's 1Ghz vs 600Mhz, and more RAM as well. I updated the original firmware (1.74) to the latest which is 1.9. It did make some improvements to the operational aspects of the unit. The touch screen is much more responsive and accurate, which makes the keyboard much more usable. Sliding things around on the screen and scrolling work a lot better as well. Battery life was vaguely improved, but not really enough to make a difference. Music and pictures are fine, but I fear video is a lost cause. Web browsing works pretty darn good, although there is no multi touch so zooming is not as convenient, but it does render pages just fine, but there is no Flash support that I have found yet. Android 1.6 works pretty well. Maybe not as many bells and whistles as the newer 2.0 versions but there are plenty of things available for it. Currently for me the XBMC remote app is awesome, but I figure as time goes on I will find a few more that are worth while.

Bottom line is that these can be had for around 100 bucks, which is way less than any of the other "mainstream" tablets. So comparing these units to say an iPad or a Dell Streak or the Archos is like comparing a Ford Festiva to a Ford Mustang GT.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    So comparing these units to say an iPad or a Dell Streak or the Archos is like comparing a Ford Festiva to a Ford Mustang GT.
    or comparing a Ford to a Chevy

How about something we can all agree on. It's like comparing an AMC Gremlin with a BMW M3.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    or comparing a Ford to a Chevy
    Only if these 2 tablets are the Ford F250 and the others are the Silverado 2500HD

You guys are confusing me. Although I do like the idea of these being a crappy Chevy, since they need a bail out too
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Looks like soon these will have competition...and competition that's actually an independently developed product, not an overnight clone.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/08/i...january-launc/
    --Benjamin Franklin