Thread: Molex removal

Fresh Paint

Default Molex removal

I am sure this has been asked before, and I have used the method described in other posts to remove 4 pin molex connectors, but is it the same with a 20 pin MB molex connector? The pins are alot smaller and it seems to have another part obstructing the pull out. I am modding a compaq 4000 case and old power supply so I will know what I am doing when I attempt it again later. Any help would be great, and I will be posting a worklog soon... thinking A-Team mod... nothing fancy, just paint and window and bondo. Thanks.

Default Re: Molex removal

you should be able to get those out the same way you did with the normal molex connectors. However, as you mentioned, the pins are a lot smaller, so be careful and patient with it.
    I don't know which method you mean, but you can just push the two small thingies on the pins inside and then pull the pin out of the connector.

Fresh Paint

Talking Re: Molex removal

Thanks, I'll try that.

I am not aware of a tool for this job. . other than some jewelers screwdrivers or something. You can purchase the pins and solder them on yourself, or just use another pig tail. .

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

This is what you need: Pin Extractor

Another necro revived! mwoohahahaa

I've recently done some, ah, "special modifications" to some humble old 350W PSUs, recycled into new decidedly non-PC roles. I quickly discovered that sleeving is a real pain without a molex pin extractor. (Hasn't been much of an issue for me, since higher-quality PSUs always come pre-sleeved these days.)

A 1" length cut from the (empty) end of the ink cylinder inside a disposable bic ballpoint works for pin extracting. Not really a perfect fit, but it's Very Cheap, and easy to affix onto a handle. Unfortunately, it wears out after a few dozen pins, and you have to cut it down (or replace it) many times when sleeving all the connectors on any decently über multi-railed PSU.

Does anyone know how to make other "cheap" pin extractors? (I'll need to do a lot of molex pins in the near future, but I ain't spending ~$20 for yet another tool that will just sit around for years and years before I ever might need it again.)

[Edit]

I was mildly dismayed that my ancient library-booksale copy of Maximum PC's Guide to Extreme PC Modding - written (in large part) by TCBS's very own oft-mentioned yet mysterious Paul Capello - mentions this very topic. A paragraph promises to explain "in a later chapter" how to make inexpensive molex extractors from common household items, yet somehow this never quite happened.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

http://xoxide.com/sunbeam-psu-tool-kit.html

thats what i got... super easy to get pins out
    Not dead yet

Bic Disposable Ballpoint Pen - about $0.25 each at my local dollar store (and I've already got hundreds of dead ones)

Sunbeam kit is $13 plus shipping costs/delays ... for a tool I'll use maybe twice and have to store (and remember where it's stored) forever in the hopes I might need it again.

I'm hoping for another ghetto alternative, better than my imperfect bic tool.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.