Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: project learning?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: project learning?

Quote Originally Posted by blaze15301 View Post
    that's the bike i want one like yours.
    Heheh, thanks, I like it. I really love the classic cruiser look.

If you can, I would recommend trying out a 2-cylinder as well as a 4 (if you can find one). My dad's Magna is a V4 (actually the first 4-cylinder bike Honda made, iirc), and while it is more complicated, the ride is much smoother. Oh, and don't worry about getting a really big one. Mine is only 400cc (thus the name ), and while it won't do 0-60 in 6s like it is supposed to, it will do it in probably about 8s. And merging onto a highway, I just drop it down into 3rd and I can go from 35 to 60 in probably about 3s. I find the power usually peaks around 7-8,000 RPMs...and it doesn't redline until 10,000.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Heheh, thanks, I like it. I really love the classic cruiser look.

If you can, I would recommend trying out a 2-cylinder as well as a 4 (if you can find one). My dad's Magna is a V4 (actually the first 4-cylinder bike Honda made, iirc), and while it is more complicated, the ride is much smoother. Oh, and don't worry about getting a really big one. Mine is only 400cc (thus the name ), and while it won't do 0-60 in 6s like it is supposed to, it will do it in probably about 8s. And merging onto a highway, I just drop it down into 3rd and I can go from 35 to 60 in probably about 3s. I find the power usually peaks around 7-8,000 RPMs...and it doesn't redline until 10,000.
    lol well when i do get a bike it will probably be stock for maybe a year. then its all performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Heheheh, you want real performance, dump the engine, drop a 20-30kW+ electric motor in there with several grand worth of high end Lithiums (LiFePO4, LiCO, etc). That's my next big project. Low end torque like you will not believe!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Heheheh, you want real performance, dump the engine, drop a 20-30kW+ electric motor in there with several grand worth of high end Lithiums (LiFePO4, LiCO, etc). That's my next big project. Low end torque like you will not believe!
    well if i had 7 grand id buy a Harley instead of a Honda lol. and youd have your money by now lol.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

Lol, good point.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Old Kawi's are good too. I've got a '79 KZ650SR that I'm making look like something out of a Mad Max movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

im not to sure what to call this piece but it needs to be cleaned lol

same thing as above just the top is off it.

Thats the centrifugal clutch

Also, you can increase engine response if you take the fly wheel in to a brake shop and have them trim some weight off on a brake lathe.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CanaBalistic View Post
    Thats the centrifugal clutch

Also, you can increase engine response if you take the fly wheel in to a brake shop and have them trim some weight off on a brake lathe.
    im going to end up buying a aluminum fly wheel that will shave about 2 -3 pounds off the whole thing.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

update

i have been very busy on this thing. hopefully by the end of next week the motor will be back together and running. so far i have stripped out 6 bolts 3 nuts and i also have 3 bruised knuckles. i dont have many pics of what i have been doing but i do have some of the engine its self being shined up a bit. i got the gaskets to put everything back together just working on the rocker plates. those are what is giving me the most trouble, damn delicate things. the jack shaft is back on. the fly wheel nut and rod had to be re thread because when i took it off i used such force i destroyed the threads on it. i will have more pics p tomorrow maybe. but here is what i have thus far.

the top of the block.

side without the flywheel.

fly wheel,clutch and clutch cover being cleaned.

that is all i have right now.

also a side note. harbor fright is like my new toys r us. i love that place went there for the first time today.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

im going to end up buying a aluminum fly wheel that will shave about 2 -3 pounds off the whole thing.
    The amount you gain on a bike that small is not that big of a deal. Hell, I haven't even bothered with a superlight flywheel for my Ducati. (don't tell the other guys that)

You'd be better off spending the money on new clutch parts and going through the bike and getting fresh new parts on things that'll make a nice noticeable difference. That's my own $.02 but that's just me.

This bike sure does bring back memories. First bike I ever rode was a minibike, what a kick in the pants it was.