Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Custom Mod Service

Fresh Paint

Default Looking for Custom Mod Service

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for someone to help me out on a project of mine.

My production equipment consists of a dremel with assorted bits and limited access to a drill and saw(my dad's stuff).

I am willing to pay a good deal of money if someone could fabricate a panel for me.

Here's the basic description:

Aluminum panel with Mesh insert, in the center an aluminum ring, with an acrylic disc.

I will post a much more detailed description later.

All Materials will be supplied, just need someone to make it for me.

Again, I am willing to pay a hefty sum for time spent and quality of work.

Message me if you have any questions

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for Custom Mod Service

I'm gonna go ahead and say this, since I'm sure everyone who sees this thread will be thinking it.
    You'll end up with something you can be a lot more proud of, and most likely have more fun, if you make it yourself. That's kinda why we're all here. If you're worried about not having experience, there are plenty of us here with very widely ranging skills, all of whom would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Since you already have some of the tools, I'm assuming this is an area that at least interests you a little bit.

That being said, there might be someone interested (personally I barely have time for my own projects), so here's some of the info you'll want to provide:

What:
    -Detailed plans for the panel you want, including:
    - Case make/model
    - Design
    - Dimensions
    - CAD drawing if at all possible
    - Detailed materials requirements (thickness, color, etc)

How:
    What arrangements are you expecting for production of this piece? You mention the tools you have available; are you expecting someone to come to you to do this or are you expecting to ship the materials to someone for them to work on? The second is probably more feasible. I could be wrong, but I don't believe we have any members near San Antonio. If you are expecting someone to come to you, do you want to learn how to do something like this or do you just want the end product?

How much:
    What range are you thinking of when you say a 'hefty sum'? I honestly have no clue what the going rate for services like you're looking for are, but whatever it is, I know it's not cheap. Think more along the lines of an artisan (eg, carpenter, sculptor, etc), not skilled labor (eg, plumber, electrician, etc). We do have some professional modders here, so they should have a better idea of the range.

When:
    How soon do you need this done? What is your expected/desired timeframe?

Why:
    What look are you going for? Also, again, is there a specific reason you don't want to do it yourself?

Hope that helps.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I'm assuming you want someone else to do it because you don't have the tools and/or skills to do it. The skill part is easily fixed, just ask around here and practice on some scrap pieces first. I'm currently making my first from scratch computer case and there's tons of things I didn't know when I started. The tools part is harder, maybe there's a workshop at your school you can use or someone you know might have/have access to more tools or a workshop.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to do this myself, as i do with most of my projects. But I have this insane ability to FUBAR my projects...one little thing will happen, and I can't fix it...

I know HOW to do it, I just don't think I have the right tools to do it...

As for the what:

It's the top panel for the NZXT Rogue. Mine looks like crap and I'm modding the case anyway...

the panel by itself is 385 mm x 282 mm x 1mm aluminum sheet. I want an offset of 40 mm inwards where hex mesh (1 mm thick) will be set. In the dead center, a 90 mm hole needs to be cut, where a 100 mm diameter ring will be placed over. The ring will be 10 mm wide. Inside the ring will be an acrylic disk, 90 mm in diameter with a radiation symbol etched in the bottom of the disk.

I'm still working on the CAD drawings...

How:
    Materials will be sent to the person constructing the panel.

How much: I'm not sure what the going rate on modding is, but I don't want to pay more than $250 total(including materials, shipping, etc). Plus whoever makes this gets the leftover material for themselves. Right now, it's looking at whoever does this will get about 150 - 200 bucks...if more is required then I will think about it...

When: I'm in no rush. I won't get the actually computer parts for awhile, and this is little project is something to keep me from going crazy...

What: I want a good, quality product that I know will be made right, and by the best possible means. If I attempt this, it will end in disaster.

The tools part is harder, maybe there's a workshop at your school you can use or someone you know might have/have access to more tools or a workshop.
    Nah, my college doesn't have a toolshop, and I can't go use the high school's shop. I do have access to a military base, I might be able to use their shop...

Thanks for the help.

And please don't try any inspirational stuff. I have been unsuccessfully modding for almost two years now, and only one mod out of about twenty has lasted...

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mackinac View Post
    Nah, my college doesn't have a toolshop, and I can't go use the high school's shop. I do have access to a military base, I might be able to use their shop...
    Depending on the base and which shop you might need. Most Woodshops on base will probably be enough and they have tons of tools to use most of the time. I wish I had some access still. If you have some little metal work to do, i.e. welding and basic shaping the Auto Hobby shop might have the tools you need to do it.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Post me some dimensions/sketches. An associate and I still take jobs from time to time, as my health allows.

If I can't help, someone else may wander in who can.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

If Kayin can't help I might be able to, got a pile of 2, 3 and 4 mm thick acrylic disks from my current mod laying around which could be used I suppose. But I want to see some proper blueprints before I can say anything. And since I live in Sweden the shipping would be more expensive.

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Fresh Paint

Here's a rough idea of what it should look like.

Black is the aluminum.

Dark grey is the hex mesh

Lighter gray is the engraving

White is acrylic

Again, I will ship the materials to the makers. you probably won't have to worry about the acrylic as I will be getting it laser cut, unless someone has that capability...

Gonna need some better blueprints I think

-TheOatmeal

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Diamon View Post
    Gonna need some better blueprints I think
    lol i'll see what i can do...Adobe illustrator isn't the best CAD program ever...

I can give you a better description, but I don't know what else to tell you about it...