Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arduino! Where to buy?

Default Arduino! Where to buy?

Thinking about getting an Arduino to play around with for my birthday?

Anyone know the best online shop for prices and selection on them and accessories? Specifically looking for the DIY kit, where you put it together and solder it yourself.

Thanks.

Edit: Looks like there are too many surface mount components on the Duemilanove for me to deal with, and I don't really want to start out with one of the clones. So maybe the $30 assembled one is the best start?

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Re: Arduino! Where to buy?

I would spam a few e-mails out to some youtube users with demo videos posted. They would be my go to source anyway.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

The freeduino kits from http://Seeedstudio.com are all through hole and easy to solder. I dont remember if they have the FTDI chip on them for USB though.

I would get a pre made one though and buy a proto shield for it to learn to solder. I have the Seeeduino 128 from them and can say that their customer service is second to none.

The seeeduino runs about $22 and is 100% Duemilanove compatible. The arduino protosheild remixed runs $12 and the mini breadboard for it will run about $3. I actually have a soldering tutorial coming up that I used the Arduino protoshield remixed in.

I have a post with some pics here http://themakersworkbench.com/?q=node/238

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    I would spam a few e-mails out to some youtube users with demo videos posted. They would be my go to source anyway.
    There are several of us here with Arduino boards. (Ovride, Crenn, x88x, Rendermandan, Myself) Crenn would have to be the most versed in Arduino knowlege out of us all barring what I do not know about RMS.

Ya, I knew a few of you guys had worked with them which is why I asked here.

I can solder fine (through-hole), I just don't have the tools for surface mount stuff. I'll check out the freeduino kits.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

yea I think I'm going to get one soon too. specifically this one from spark fun

That was the one I was looking at too. I might grab that and one of the $20 clones that you build yourself.

Question: These are designed for development, no? Is there a cheap minimalist board designed to use for the finished product?

The idea behind arduino is to dev your project and then use it to program the atmega you you will use in your finished design. Arduino is not just hardware though. It is also software and user created library's. The support community behind arduino is what makes it stand out from other uC dev kits.

All that you will port to your final project is an atmega chip, a couple of caps, 1 inductor and a 16mhz oscillator. The rest of the stuff on the arduino board is for USB communication and power supply.

If you want a simple duino to put in your final project there are a few minimalist boards like the

Also there is an Australian company. Protostack that sells an atmega dev kit for under $20. Crenn and myself have one of their boards.

Atmega 128 uC usualy run about $4 and can be programed with your arduino. Another $2 in caps and crystal and you are good to go.

Ok. I'm not very software oriented. So the mfg's desc. of this product didn't really clear anything up for me. Can anyone give me some examples of what this might be used for? Looks like something I would enjoy tinkering with!
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man. "
    -Henry David Thoreau-

-Told You So Studios

You can use it for everything from making a single led blink to a full auto pilot for an RC plane. It has been used in robots, midi devices, and almost any other electronics project you can think of. Check out the official Arduino site and the arduino tag over at Hack a Day.

You will have to learn to code a little though if you want to play with one. The arduino language is a derivative of C though so its not that complicated. I can do it and that says a lot.