Thread: Updating old case - hole cutting and drilling

Default Updating old case - hole cutting and drilling

Hi all,

I have an old Gateway tower case that I'd like to gut (currently a Pentium 3) and pretty up for a new PC. However, when I looked more closely at it I was met with a speedbump - the case has pre-drilled holes in the back for each individual motherboard port, rather than the usual rectangular hole for the motherboard plate.

Has anyone here dealt with this before, and if so, how? I imagine I'll need to use a Dremel and cut the rectangular hole, but how precise will the measurements have to be?

Also, I figure I'm going to have to drill mounting holes for the standoffs too. Any recommended methods for this?

Finally, the case has those decorative plastic pieces with the embossed Gateway logo on them. Suggestions on how to mod those, or should I just rip them off and cover up the holes somehow, possibly working them into the mod decor?

Thanks a million for any help, advice, ideas, or suggestions you can give.

EDIT: I should add that my girlfriend, who is an artist and has experience sculpting, is collaborating with me on this so while my own abilities are limited in terms of decorating a case, I do have her to fall back on for the visual aspects. I'm hoping this makes it easier to suggest ways to de-assify this case, as the current design is rather an eyesore.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: Updating old case - hole cutting and drilling

By the sounds of your system, I believe we both have the same case. And you're in luck because I've already cut out the rectangular I/O Panel. I used a jig-saw, but I don't see why a dremel wouldn't work in this case (actually a dremel might be easier...). In terms off accuracy I used an I/O panel off of another motherboard as a template. If you don't have a loose I/O panel available then you can measure out the size of the rectangle and its relation to the PCI slots.

For the stand-offs you're going to want to get a 6-32 drill bit and tap. That way you can use standard case standoffs (which can be bought at any computer store).

For the logo I'm not quite sure I understand what you're talking about, perhaps you could post a picture?

-Indybird

Sure thing - as soon as I get home I'll snap a picture. Basically, though, it's a dark-grey plastic panel, with little indentations in it (think golf-ball texture) and the old Gateway logo (cow-pattern box) that's stamped into it so it's raised as you run your fingers over it. I figure at the very least I'll need to sand off the Gateway logo since it's no longer a Gateway (it's a...um...CelticWhisperTek!), but the panels are just held on with clips so failing all else they can be pulled off and discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by celticwhisper View Post
    Finally, the case has those decorative plastic pieces with the embossed Gateway logo on them. Suggestions on how to mod those, or should I just rip them off and cover up the holes somehow, possibly working them into the mod decor?
    Bondo is your friend. Or any other body filler. If you look around there are quite a few work logs on here that can show you what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Here are the pictures I promised.

Also, msmrx57, which worklogs would you suggest? Can I search for Bondo with the site search or do I need a project name or username to go by?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm going to guess you mean using Bondo to cover up the holes left by the panels? I searched and it seems like a hole/crack filler, more for patching than for grinding off (dissolving?) a logo or some such.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4872/1000902j.jpg
    http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7586/1000900y.jpg
    http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/944/1000899a.jpg

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Actually that can all be sanded off real easy (with a power sander).

Also that actually isn't the case I had, but I don't see you'd need to do anything different...

-Indybird

Great, thanks.

How about the mobo ports? Suggestions on how to go about fitting a mobo cover plate onto the back of that case? I figure I'll have to cut out a rectangular section, but are there any tricks to the measurements or anything like that? I'm planning on having the mobo ordered and in my possession so I can measure the actual plate I'll be using, but I have a tendency to oversimplify these things and then realize too late that I did something wrong. You mentioned the stand-offs and PCI slots and such? I'm guessing there will be a lot I have to match up.

Here's a couple of project logs that have bondo used in them that might be similar to what you're after. Hope it helps.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=13445
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...t=20266&page=5
    Last edited by msmrx57; 03-12-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by celticwhisper View Post
    Great, thanks.

How about the mobo ports? Suggestions on how to go about fitting a mobo cover plate onto the back of that case? I figure I'll have to cut out a rectangular section, but are there any tricks to the measurements or anything like that? I'm planning on having the mobo ordered and in my possession so I can measure the actual plate I'll be using, but I have a tendency to oversimplify these things and then realize too late that I did something wrong. You mentioned the stand-offs and PCI slots and such? I'm guessing there will be a lot I have to match up.
    For the standoffs, first grab an ATX MBB and check it against what's there. It might already have hole and/or standoffs for ATX (in which case you wouldn't need to do anything). It looks like it might be new enough that it fell into the ATX generation.

For the rear opening, all you should need to do is get a backplate positioned where you think it'll need to go, then trace around it and cut out where the lines are. Taping over the area that you're cutting with masking or painter's tape helps keep things a little neater and makes the lines easier to see.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV