Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sun VirtualBox

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Sun VirtualBox

Dual-booting is when you have two operating systems installed on your computer at the same time. This lets you have access to multiple operating systems with full hardware access for each. You will only be able to boot into one at a time though, so it's not perfect.

Make sure that you have 3D acceleration enabled in the video settings tab:

Also, go ahead and crank up the video RAM that it's giving it.

Looking at VirtualBox's descriptions of what these options do, it looks like they might actually pass directly to the physical card. Hmm, I'm gonna have to play around with that later...

i would recommend looking into WIndows CP mode, i play 2 games which won't run on Windows7 X64 but will run under XP mode, i also have a few little apps that i use under the XP mode, its very easy to setup and it gives the app access to the true hardware, ie 3D support is true 3D support bing rendered by your GFX card not your CPU

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    WIndows CP mode
    For clarification, for anyone who's not familiar with it (took me a second), he's talking about 'compatibility mode', which was added in Vista. They have options for I believe 98 through the previous version (ie, in Vista it goes through XP, in 7 it goes through Vista).
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

i would recommend looking into WIndows CP mode, i play 2 games which won't run on Windows7 X64 but will run under XP mode, i also have a few little apps that i use under the XP mode, its very easy to setup and it gives the app access to the true hardware, ie 3D support is true 3D support bing rendered by your GFX card not your CPU
    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    For clarification, for anyone who's not familiar with it (took me a second), he's talking about 'compatibility mode', which was added in Vista. They have options for I believe 98 through the previous version (ie, in Vista it goes through XP, in 7 it goes through Vista).
    Yeah my VirtualBox is running on a Windows XP and the 'compatibility mode' has got options like Win95, Win98, WinNT and Win2000. Tried all but nothing is working out. The game client runs but i have a black screen.

Quote Originally Posted by PuB_Evo View Post
    Yeah my VirtualBox is running on a Windows XP and the 'compatibility mode' has got options like Win95, Win98, WinNT and Win2000. Tried all but nothing is working out. The game client runs but i have a black screen.
    What he meant was to run it in compatibility mode in the host OS.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

acctually it was a typo, what i ment was XP mode,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

its the best comp mode i've ever used

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

However, even if your processor supports it, XP mode will not virtualize 3D hardware.

Check and see if your game is on Steam. All 5 of the X-COM series were, and I got them all for a tenner.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

its the best comp mode i've ever used
    That's because it's not really a compatibility mode. It's just a Windows XP VM running in VirtualPC 2008, which is why everything except for graphical stuff runs near perfectly in it. The only real benefit to using that instead of a VM you made yourself with another virtualization solution is that 'XP mode' includes a valid XP license. Unfortunately though, 'XP mode' is not available for 7 Home Premium, which the OP runs.
    --Benjamin Franklin

ahh, ok,

and i've never played the X-COM game series, my nickname was derived from when i ,,,,,ahem,,,,,,gained access the the school servers showing an exploit, at the request of the system administrator, i used a small program i wrote and called it X becuase it used a DLL file x,,,something or other to gain access to a machine when it was connected to a network via a COM port,

very smart for the day,

One of the bat's uses will be to run VMs for cross-platform testing, so I'm learning virtualization quite fast.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08