Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help selecting parts for my first build

Default Re: Need help selecting parts for my first build

Thanks, yeah I don't plan to overclock anytime soon, Ill just stick with fan cooling then.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

The parts you listed will make a good solid build, but given where your budget seems to be, you could get better performance for a comparable price.

Other than the Photoshop and Flash, do you have any idea what you'll be using it for?

In the OP, you mentioned that you wanted HDMI "for blu-ray support". Did you just mean that you want to be able to play BD-ROMs on the PC, or that you want to be able to hook up a TV? Playing BD-ROMs in Windows just requires the right software (often comes with the drive) and some sort of digital connection (either DVI or HDMI) with a panel that supports HDCP (any new monitors do).

As a side note, DVI and the video portion of HDMI are electrically identical; HDMI is just shrunk down to a smaller plug and has digital audio bundled in as well.

I would also not recommend water cooling for your first build. It's fun and can give you better cooling, but is much more complicated and expensive than air-cooling. Plus, that's a great case; plenty of airflow

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention; for PSU calculations, personally I like this one:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

It gives you a lot more flexibility in the components you add.

Thanks for the reply. Hmm, I think that's about it as far as usage, I just plan to:

Play games
    Play Blu-ray and DVDs
    Listen to music
    Use PS and adobe related programs (I might try 3d animation programs as well, like Maya)

Also if you have any suggestions for different parts, I more than welcome it.

Ok, what's your budget like?

$1,000- $1,500

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Lucky, i wish i had a budget like that. lol.
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Sorry I kinda dropped off the map for a bit there; I've been busy and didn't have time to sit down and throw something together till now.

If I had $1500 right now for a new rig, with that $1500 covering two monitors, this is what I would get:
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=16452728

I think the 920 with triple-channel RAM support would out-weigh the additional 2GB of RAM with the 860. Plus, you have space to upgrade to 12GB later if you so desire.

To be honest though, I would save a little more and go with the Radeon 5850 (usually ~$300). I think it's a better long-term investment.

I replaced the monitors with 21.5" 1920x1080 panels because cutting off those 2.1" save you $140 ($70 each).

ATI released the 5970 a few weeks ago, not sure if you'd want to fork out the cash for it, but if it's too much trouble I'd go with the 5770 like everyone else says. The 5970 is now the fastest graphics card on the market (yes it's faster than the GTX 295), but again I don't think you would like the $600 price tag...

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

x88x hit it right on the nose with that one! That's an amazing setup!
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Wow, thanks a lot guys, I just have a few questions before purchase:

I went and got myself an ATI Radeon 5850 gpu, is the micro atx mobo going to be able to support it or is there a similar mobo for a full tower chassis since i already have the cooler master cosmos case and wanted to take advange of a ATX mobo?
    Also what's the difference between the CPU i7 920 and the i7 860? just wondering since both seems to cost about the same but one has a 2.8ghz and the other a 2.66ghz?

Lastly I can't decide between this speaker, which one would u guys recommend?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121122

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121006

Thanks