Thread: Modding an Antec Super LANboy

Fresh Paint

Default Modding an Antec Super LANboy

My computer has a backstory. But I won't bore you with it. ShiftyV2 is the offspring of my previous computer (christened Shifty). I went out and bought all the hardcore hardware I could buy and built this baby from scratch. Now that I'm done plugging in all the important stuff I'm turning to modding the case. I'm just full of ideas. And I want your sincere takes on them.

The first thing I did to the case was I did some paintwork on it (link below).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...90624793_0.jpg

I designed the letters, made a stencil out of them on construction paper, then spray painted the design onto the side of the case. I was only moderately satisified with the outcome. So I'm taking it to the next level. I'm going to remove the paint and on Monday take the side panel to this place that does waterjet cutting. I'm going to get the same design cut out of the side and put some sort of lighting behind it. This is where I encounter my first problem. There's not enough space behind the side panel to install cathodes without actually cutting holes into the case (where the mobo sits). So what other options do I have for providing that light, and if there aren't any what tools will I need to cut said holes?

Second thing I'm planning on doing is replacing the window I have now with a transparent blue plexiglass. I have blue cathodes sitting in my case right now and they're a little bright. So hopefully some blue plexiglass will make my case glow rather than radiate a blinding light. (I plan on putting the excess plexiglass behind the design I cut out on the case side for the same reason). Good retailers of plexiglass anyone?

Finally, the last major mod I plan on doing down the road is a water cooling mod. A water cooling mod dedicated to the greatest energy drink in existence: Bawls Guarana. I'm hoping to take a bottle of Bawls and modify it (just slightly) so that it serves as the resevoir for my cooling system. Risk: obvious. Schweetness: unsurpassable. I'm not really thinking about how I'm going to do this. I'm concentrating more on how I'm going to reduce the risk of damage to my precious mobo and $500 video card. If the risk turns out to be too high I might just change the idea so that I put a bottle of bawls in there that looks like it's the resevoir, which is actually hidden in an out-of-sight location. Anyway, ideas?

I have some smaller things I'm cooking up, but the above stated are the really big mods I'm doing. I'm open for any other ideas people have though.

Give it to me straight, doc.

Default Re: Modding an Antec Super LANboy

You should be able to get LED lighting in there. There's plenty of tutorials on the web about LED electronics, and all you would need to do is borrow a molex from somewhere to power it. Or, if you really felt adventurous, tap into the purple motherboard cable for a 5volt line that would keep your LED's on when your computer is off

If this sounds like your kinda thing, i'll post up a circuit diagram later.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Fresh Paint

That sounds like a viable solution. My question to you though is what should I look for when choosing my light-emiting diodes. I've had some experience with exploding LEDs, and while it's really fun to watch them go poof!, I don't want to go through $20 worth finding the right one. I might opt towards the second thing you suggested: that is running off of the mobo cable. I like the idea of my computer tricking people into thinking it's on. Perhaps including a switch (I have lots of expansion slot switches laying about) or even better the one-touch power switch www.xoxide.com has available for sale. Just touch the side of my case and it lights up. Anyway, some circuit diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

ATX Mental Case

sounds great!
    Comp Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 939 3200+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2x 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    100GB HDD 7200 RPM SATA
    2x in SLI, 7600 GT 256 MB
    500W PSU

I don't know the brand of drink you are speaking of, but how big is the bottle relative to the case? If it is of a proper size and want it to be a major theme a top mount res could be an option? I am not experienced with water cooling systems, so I am not sure of how the pump would react to working against gravity to get to a top mounted res. If the bottle is the size of a regular soda can, then that would probably just look goofy. An idea could be to seal the can/bottle so that it looks open, but is not. Lay it on it's side on top of the case and use a semi-clear epoxy dyed to the same color of the beverage. Could make it look like the can/bottle is tipped over and running along the outside and maybe along the inside back plane of the case. A few imbeded LED's and it could give off a cool glow.

Just a few ideas to think on. Let us know how its goin and good luck.
    ***Impossible means it will just take more time***