Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : XcOM

Default Re: An Old Project!

ok, i haven't forgotten about this project, just been awaiting funds to purchace parts, i've ordered some plexi panels and have had them cut to size, due to where they are going i wanted them to be perfectly square.

The supplier is called RED Ltd, look it up if your wanting plexi in the UK, they sell on ebay and it costs £1.50 for a a4 sheet and first 4 cuts are free.

I have uploaded my pics finally:

I do appologise for the quality of the pics, i haden't setup my camara phone yet, so it was just using standard settings.

All my parts arrived:

and i fitted the new HSF to check the system works:

not bad, dropped the idle temp from 60 to 32,

and now to add the new fan! this thing is mad, 120mm, 3 speed settings displacing a max of 79 CFM

and how it stands now its in the case, my god how this looks bad:

i got my switch from maplins:

I think these looks really nice, and will suit the case when its finished, theres also 2 Super bright LED's there in a plastic bag.

Now most front fasias i have removed are normally just clipped on, this thing is screwed on, but it is removed:

Now when i did this i didn't have my plexi (Still don't getting delivered soon) so i am using the one remaining blanking plate i have:

I am using it as a test for drilling the hole out, the hole needs to be 19.2mm but i only have an 18mm bit, so i had to file out out a bit:

And i attached the wires and tested it works:

And it works! success

Now then, all i need is my plexi, a dremel, some bondo, lots of sand paper and lots of paint. and were set!

I admit this isn't of as high callabir as the likes of most here, but i hope the end result will be of high quality.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Before you buy anything paint/paper/bondo related, give me a shout, even with postage on top I may be able to help you out and save you some cash. I can certainly get you pretty much every grit of paper between 40 and 2000 at cost, and Aerosols of Matt Black and Primer for about £2.50 for 400ml U-Pol Professional paint.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

has any1 every told u , u look like denzel washington

ahahaha

nice mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Update:

YAY, i got me a dremel, a real one at that!

now on to playing with it,

My side panel as it is:

time to cover all those holes in bondo!

What a pain that was, going through the holes, had to fill from back then smooth over on front, but i fear i now have a slight problem, how am i to mount the plexi with such a huge gap between the panel and the plexi? i suppose i could sand it and hope the bondo stays in place, i only have to be close enough to not be a huge gap, i was even thinking of laying the plexi ontop of the panel and using heat to make it bubble through the side? what you guys think, could it be done?

now comes the hard work, sanding the bondo back

now i did mask off the entire panel,

and i printed my logo in reverse, as i saw somewhere that wth a toner printer you can iron your image onto the masking tape, but alais it didn't work, so i had to resort to drawing over the logo to leave an impression in the masking tape and then drawing on the masking tape, not a bad job if i do say so myself

X

and its cut out

Now i have kept the middle of the letter O as i intend to put it back for the middle of the letter O.

What i forgot to take pictures of is i've put about an hours worth of elbow grease into making the lines straight and smooth, and the round ones round.

To say the least i am very impressed since it is my first attept with a dremel.

Thoughts/Comments?

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Nice work mate. Going to look sweet.

And thats the mobo I got you yeah? I feel like a grandfather

Matthew

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

lookin good

Nice dude, the fan upgrade on the cooler is a great idea. What are you doing with the original fan from the cooler? If you would be willing to part with it I might be interested in it for an upcoming project.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Sure mate,

Glad to see ppl are liking my project, im still trying to work out how to make the plexi bubble, i was thinking of getting some MDF and cutting a recess to match the window, then cut a positive and heat the plexi and squash it between the MDF to shape it,

Or lay it over the window and heat it up hoping it will start seeping through.

@ Chaksq:
    PM me your address and i will ship, not too expencive last time i sent something.

YAY,

My plexi arrived toay whilst i was sleeping! it looks soooo sexy, and is cut so nicely (I paid a company to cut it for me as i wanted the corners to be 100% rite.

Oh well, all im waiting for now is bondo and paint, then i can make a start on the front fascia.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Hmm, I haven't been keeping up to date with the forums as I should. A very nice project mate, I have a really old (and by old I mean an original P4 and a GeForce 4 lol) that I had similar ideas for, just to make it useful again lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08