Thread: I recentally purchased a 92MM fan...

Fresh Paint

Default I recentally purchased a 92MM fan...

For the purpose of modding my case. I have a CoolerMaster case that has plexiglass on the side so you can see through, and much like other individuals I have the desire to install a fan on the side where the plexiglass is. Well the fan came in the mail today and now I'm kind of debating of where I should install it, location wise, before I start cutting holes.

The two choices I was debating against was the Video card, and my RAM. I have 4 sticks of 2GB RAM with heat sinks attached. I'm aware they get fairly hot but so does my video card as this being a gaming rig. Any insight on the matter or any other tips on where I should place it? My CPU Doesn't get that hot, and my Drives are cooled very well. I'm certain that the RAM or Video Card are the choices I want to go with but I'm not sure which one is the better option.
    Thanks!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: I recentally purchased a 92MM fan...

I would say definitely the GPU, unless you're overclocking the RAM. Are you able to get temps for both of them? Also, a pic of the internal layout would be helpful in determining recommended positioning.

Also, Welcome to TBCS!

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the welcome!

And yes, I have a gigabyte motherboard so I have software to tell me my system temperature and GPU temp. I was told system temp includes my RAM.
    Right now would be a pretty awful time to take pictures because I have some serious cable problems, I need to clean it up (And I actually had planned on tomorrow).

But a problem has arose. The fan I got is SOOO loud (which I knew) but I bought a PCI type controller for it. That being said, I looked at the controller and it doesn't look like it will be able to help with this fan because this fan runs completely off of molex (It requires 1 Amp for power), and the fan controller, although running 2 Molex's, I have a feeling will not correctly work. We will find out tomorrow though.

That's another issue on it's own, as I am going to be putting a fan there, but if this controller doesn't work for this fan chances are I will send back this fan and replace for a quieter fan. I mean this thing is seriously loud.

Anyway: Back to the mod questions. My system temp idles between 30-40 and under load seems to get to 45. My GPU Idles at 45ish and under load gets up to 60. I figure seeing as the fan blows a LOTTTTT of air (110 CFM), it'd help the entire case no matter of placement. I will post a picture ASAP (But keep in mind the cables will be a lot better placed, so don't let that keep you from a right decision.

EDIT: Tried taking a picture but all I have is my cell phone and it didn't work that great. I have way more room near the RAM but if I stuck it in front of the GPU it'd be close to 3/4 an inch of room between.

Also would like to say I have all intentions of overclocking. All hardware, not just RAM.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

110CFM from a 92mm fan??? Holy jet-engines batman!

Seriously though, I feel like that powerful a fan would just create a lot of negative (or positive, if it's pulling in) air pressure, and cause more problems that it's fixing. Personally I would recommend replacing that fan with something quieter, just because having something that loud in my case would drive me nuts. Generally, the bigger the fan diameter, the better CFM-to-dBA ratio you can get. Here are some really nice ones I just found (they almost make me want to replace the fans in my case with them....if I hadn't made them so stupidly hard to replace..
    120mm 72CFM 14dBA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

Fresh Paint

I decided this fan was more trouble than it was worth. I am RMAing it back to new egg, I purchased an Antec 92MM TriCool. It's clear, it's quiet, and it pushes a lot of air. Now I just need to decide where to place it on the plexiglass...