Thread: What new hardrive?

Overclocked

Default What new hardrive?

Ok what ive been noticeing is when I run several programs my computer slows down badly but the cpu and ram usage isnt even 30 percent.. And its driveing me nuts

currently useing a
    WD Caviar Blue
    SATA Hard Drives

500 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
    As my main boot drive and it seems to be laging behind on me performance wise so I was wondering if I got a wd black 1tb 32cache how much of a incress would it see or should I just say screw it and get a ssd for around 100-300 (300 tax included)

64gigs is cutting it close since I only have 246gigs left on the 500 and the 2 1tb drives only have a total of 400gigs

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: What new hardrive?

A few things you can try:
    New, faster HDD: In addition to the cache size, look for the number of platters. The fewer platters, the larger a percentage of the total data will be stored on a single platter, and so seek times will be lower.
    SSD+HDD: If you run the OS/programs off the SSD and store any data that you'll be working with on the HDD, not only will you have the benefits of an SSD, but you'll also be operating off two separate storage devices, allowing more of the device bandwidth for each drive to be used for their respective tasks.
    HDD+HDD: Same idea as SSD+HDD, but cheaper. Basically again going for the splitting of the load across multiple drives (OS/apps going off one drive, data going off the other).

You could also try getting a 2.5" 10k RPM SAS drive instead of an SSD, but I feel like that would be more expensive than the SSD in the end.

Overclocked

well i currenly have a 130 gig 10,000 rpm drive sitting beside me but its not that fast..

Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    well i currenly have a 130 gig 10,000 rpm drive sitting beside me but its not that fast..
    Would that be a Raptor? *thinks for a second* actually, I guess an enterprise 2.5" 10k SAS drive probably wouldn't be much (if any) faster than a Velociraptor. so, yeah, if it be speed ye want, get ye an SSD

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Would that be a Raptor? *thinks for a second* actually, I guess an enterprise 2.5" 10k SAS drive probably wouldn't be much (if any) faster than a Velociraptor. so, yeah, if it be speed ye want, get ye an SSD
    The its a 3.5 one of the orginals I got it for free wasnt too impressed with it with currnet 1tb black drives beat it on it own.. now I have a vista problem my hardrvie says when I propertie it 96.4gigs used but when I pick all the files on it and check them its 48.2 so I was like what the hell.. were my disk space disapear too? I want to clone it to a new ssd so I got ride of all photos videos and junk I dont really need to make it fit but Im like what the hell is with the hardrive sizes being diffrent..

I assume you've emptied the trash bin? Otherwise, it sounds like you might have a bunch of bad blocks; try running a chkdsk -r.

what's weird is it's exactly double of what you supposedly have, are you getting all the hidden files when you selecting and right clicking?

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Killa_Ape View Post
    what's weird is it's exactly double of what you supposedly have, are you getting all the hidden files when you selecting and right clicking?
    I didnt notice that.. I unhide every file added 300mbs total since I cleaned out all temp file and program temp files %temp% I checked backups made too delete them as well and that got ride of some space as well but it is exactly double didnt notice that befor.. I did disk check to see if there were bad sectors nope didnt find anything not hiden files from the look of it or at least one I can see..