Thread: Dell Gx270 small form pc's ?

ATX Mental Case

Default Dell Gx270 small form pc's ?

Just got a dell GX270 pentium 4 small form pc and opened it up and had a quick look inside! was going to change the dvd drive ( im taking all the components out and putting into a different cabinet, so not worried about the drive fitting into the Dell case) in it but the connections all look a bit different than the normal pc connections, the connection is a plastic ribbon cable from the motherboard and the power supply to the drive connects to a small pcb that also connects to the plastic ribbon and just pushes onto the drive ?
    How standard are these dell gx270 ? many thanks

Default Re: Dell Gx270 small form pc's ?

If memory serves me correct the Dell GX270 SFF uses a Slimline Optical Drive like a laptop.

As for standard, most things that are SFF AND a big company name (Dell) usually have a lot of non-standard items. Dell has that motherboard custom built by Foxconn, just so it will fit in the itybity case.

ATX Mental Case

Hi thanks so do i have to use Dell parts ? I have some old dvd drives and wanted to fit one of them, its going in another case so i can fit it anywhere its just the connectors thanks

If the mobo has no regular IDE ports, you would need to use a slimline to IDE adaptor to use a standard IDE optical drive.

The mobo should have SATA ports on it though, so you *could* use a SATA optical drive if you have one (or want to buy one).

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ATX Mental Case

thanks for your replies

Fresh Paint

Its got two ide ports capable of 4 drives and a sata 1, the problem you may have is the limited amount of power connectors and power supply wattage (if you use it).

Also it takes ddr1 up to 400mhz which is expensive but the mobo itself is good if you just use it as stock.