Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Project: Gardens of Versailles

Default Future Project: Gardens of Versailles

Here is the outline for my next mod, The Gardens of Versailles. It will be in the concept and design stages until at least May, and hopefully be completed no later than August, so I'm leaving it here for comments and such until I get it started.

This mod is going to be a surprise for my mother. She knows I plan on building her a computer, and I expressed interest in modding one for her, but we never discussed anything besides possibly making the theme landscaping/flowers. In the summer after 8th grade I had the opportunity to visit France for two weeks with a tour group, and we made a day long stop at the Palace of Versailles. If anyone knows anything about Versailles and the eccentric Louis's that lived there, you know that it sits on a huge parcel of land, most of which is gardens. One place that particularly struck me was the Orangerie, just outside the main palace.

The Orangerie:

So with that in mind, I then chose my components. These may change, but it doesn't really matter:

HEC 7106WW Beige White Steel ATX Desktop Computer Case
    MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
    SPARKLE GeForce 9400 GT
    Athena Power 550W Power Supply
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz CPU
    A-DATA 2GB DDR2 800 Memory
    Western Digital Caviar 160GB 7200 RPM SATA Drive
    LITE-ON 16X DVD-ROM
    ASUS P5A2-8SB4W CPU Cooler

So here is the sketchup model:

I'm going to try and keep the colors dull and simple. I don't want it to be a huge flashy case due to color, I'd rather it be something you can set on top of a nightstand next to a desk and actually look like a representation of the Orangerie. I didn't bother putting the components in the case, but the holes will be backed by 1/8" clear plexiglass, and the 120mm fan in the center will glow blue to simulate water throughout the cutout. I am going to have the cutout custom cut at a local metal shop to ensure the complexity stays. I'll probably get the trees at a local train hobby store, and all that would be left to do is paint the thing and put it together.

Thats about all I can think about right now, what does everyone think?
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Future Project: Gardens of Versailles

I like it
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

ATX Mental Case

What if you made it more curvy, like a land mass?

Man, I love it. Dunno about the stock front panel, but the top works wonderfully.

Hope you don't have cats...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

you should make a giant hill on it. (think I should just make me a mountain case. that would be sweet )

is the fan gonna be blue or have blue leds to simulate the water? that would be cool.

EDIT: dumb question just realized you had it blue in the sketchups. sorry.
    Last edited by billygoat333; 02-23-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: idiocracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    you should make a giant hill on it. (think I should just make me a mountain case. that would be sweet )
    Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of recreating the gardens of The Palace of Versailles?

As for the front panel, yes, I will almost definitely change the design of it, I just haven't had any inspiration for it yet. Any suggestions? Maybe I could have the entire thing screen printed with some sort of design or picture. That would again make this more of a production case than a modded case since I am outsourcing the work, but oh well.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

I love the idea, would be cool if you could add a little model of King Louis being dragged out of the front door and carted off to Paris too.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote:
    Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of recreating the gardens of The Palace of Versailles?
    yeah, I wasn't really thinking, sorry a little too much caffiene + boredom = stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Looks like great plans for a unique case mod! +Rep
    Sketchup models are fantastic, looks just like the The Gardens of Versailles!
    I received a catalog from ScenicExpress.Com the other day, this reminded me of that.
    They have the largest selection of model landscaping supplies anywhere.

Maybe the problem with the front panel is the case itself. A different case, desktop-not-tower-type will portrait your concept better. Something like a HP slim computer or such us.

just my two cents idea:
    As Versailles is the maximun exponent of heavy decoration palaces (baroque is the English word?) sides and front panel could have some nice wallpaper (fleur-de-lis flowers and others) and "gold" details and shapes (you know, small baby-angels and women, flowers...) made of resin.