Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aperture Science Radio (Portal)

Anodized

Default Aperture Science Radio (Portal)

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right forum, so please, bare with me. After doing some looking around, I've noticed most (if not all) Portal-themed mods are of the companion cube; however, I've never seen a mod done for the radio that appears a few times in the game:

As such, I've decided to make this project my own.

I've had a real hard time deciding what to put in there. At first I was leaning towards mini-ITX, but for how often I use a PC anymore I didn't want to spend that much money on components. After considering an Xbox 360 mod and even an actual radio, I've settled on gutting a set of iPod speakers and putting them inside. It seemed the most appropriate.

I'm leaning toward the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere series; I haven't taken it apart yet, but they look fairly simple to modify based on the case design. And, they sound pretty decent. Alas, this is not the issue.

I'm still stumped as to HOW I'm going to shape the case. It's round on all three axes and I can't think of any "found" object that would work best (yet). The best I can think of doing is to sculpt it, which I'd like to do as little of as possible (it's too symmetrical to leave to my hands/eyes alone). Does anyone have any suggestions? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Brain kills beer cells.

Default Re: Aperture Science Radio (Portal)

Cool idea. Not sure if I can help with the shape, but you could build the cake to go with it and put the computer in there.

used some U shaped pipe and cut it in half, then use styrne to make front and back, use that as a starting point, and BONDO!

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...et-covers.aspx

one of those maybe? I've seen some at either walmart or lowes. Seems like the ones I've seen are more rounded than those too.

you could always build a reverse form out of wood, clay, foam and bondo ets. Then fiberglass it.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

It seems to be a simple parabolic shape. Perhaps a wireframe, followed by paper mache, followed by fiberglass?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Anodized

rendermandan: Considering Bondo's likeness to cake frosting... that probably wouldn't be too hard to do, haha.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. On some level or another I've considered all of them, or some variation. The wireframe method has been sticking the most right now, but I've been reconsidering wood. I want the final shell to be fiberglass, so ultimately I think I'll be making a negative mold of the master. Bottom line, the inside doesn't have to look pretty.

I'm thinking of having a central hempisphere piece that runs the length of the radio, and from there, adding arched "ribs" for the depth axis. From there I'm thinking of adding styrene panels (or some other material that's thin, pliable and holds some weight) and Bondo'ing that boy. Here's hoping.
    Brain kills beer cells.

Good luck! Be sure to post some pics.

And don't forget to put that cute version of "Still Alive" that the radio plays on your iPod when you're done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...