Thread: Case doors and side windows

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Case doors and side windows

Can someone explain this to me? Just about all of the "pre-mod" (there's a contradiction if I ever saw one) cases I've seen that have side windows have them on the left side. To me, that says one would expect the case to be placed to the right of the user, so that he or she can see the window and all the goodies inside.

So why are the front doors on 90% of these cases hinged on the left? So that the door opens toward the user, and gets in the way of whatever he or she was trying to access? This seems completely backward to me.
    ________
    Tl1000R
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Case doors and side windows

I guess they just aren't as smart as you! That is a good question, though. There would have to be some reasoning to it, whether it's that the person that they have designing them is too stupid to have figured that out, or that people have it to the left of them, so it doesn't get covered up by the desk and it can be seen better by other people, maybe? My computer and my parents' computer are on the left side. At the last LAN party that I went to, everybody except for me (simply due to the limited amount of space available), the guy with a computer desk with a place reserved to put the computer, and the lone guy with the laptop had their computers on the left side. I think there's a 50/50 chance of it being on the left, or right side. For my computer, and my parents' computer, it's just on the left side, because it worked out that way. A case with a window might be more likely to be on the right side, I don't know. You'd think that more (the ones with windows, at lest) would open to the right. It would also make sense to me.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Cooler Master cases let you change the side the hinge is on. I'd imagine other companies thought this up too.

On my CM Stacker it doesn't actually have a window (it has mesh on BOTH sides).

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Window is on the left because most PC's are ATX and the motherboard is mounted on the right side, and you would usually put the case on your right so you could see everything.

I believe that the doors open with the hinge on the left because most folks are right handed and it is more ergonomic to operate the door with your right hand. However, if the makers of the PC cases with doors were to put a handle on the door, it would be just as ergonomic to open it with the hinge on the right. But, most folks would think that a handle on the front of your case would be ugly. That is probably why the doors open the way that they do.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I'm right handed. I would actually probably prefer a door with hinges on the right side. That would be the best, in my opinion. They might not want to put handles on some of them for
    1)cheapness
    2)sleek design
    3)never thought of it
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

My main computer at home uses an aluminum Chieftec case with that dang left hinge door. After using it on both sides of the desk, I understand why they have the door open the the way it does for when the PC is on the right.

My next case is not going to have a door. Like blueonblack said, it gets in the way. The DVD, floppy, and memory card drives aren't ugly enough to cover with a door in my opinion.

I have no door on my case but I do have a window on the left side. and still it is placed left of my monitor. why.... so i can look at it when I am working on my workstation that is placed on the left side. (Has no doors nor windows and is placed behind the 2e monitor. with the dvd drive facing the right side.)

Yours Cheron.

i do not currently have a tower atm (I rely on my laptop atm) but when i did it was always on the left of me,

Mainly due to height restrictions as my desk has a shelf on the right hand side preventing me putting a normal height case there.

But needless to say i'v never liked doors, but i've also never liked cd/dvd drives with writting plastered all over them, i like the NEC drives, no text on them at all, only a slight emboss on the right, but nothing you can't notice though.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

My main computer doesn't have a door on its (beat-ass, free) case, and it's on the right. The P4's in my Aluminus, which is to the left side of the desk sitting on top of my server, so the door's hinged the right way (from the left). I can lie in bed and look in at my cable management job this way, so I'm happy enough.

For most people, though, it's a pretty ridiculous setup. I had my Aluminus with its back to me, on my right, for a while (I don't use my optical drive much) and the door drove me nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...