Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Review: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron

Default Re: Review: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Bramage View Post
    hey y'all... i don't pretend to know much about this kind of stuff, but this article was forwarded to me from a buddy over at microsoft...

http://www.dailytech.com/Huge+Hole+i...ticle11869.htm

Seems they found a big 'ole hole in some Linux distro packages. this isn't a diss... just an FYI for those of you that use Ubuntu as a server.
    Thanks for the heads up bud . I think my server might be on Debian (pretty damn sure, not quite though). Now I'm twice as worried as I was a week ago. This reminds me of a PM I sent Jon about MySQL injections loading malicious JS into pages, which currently has attacked 50,000 servers.

Holy $@%!

I'd still say Linux is the most secure OS you'll find, what with it's 60 or so known viruses . And, since the SQL injections were due to bad queries, it would be possible to screw with any server (MS or Linux). I really need to learn SQL...
    RIP Bucko

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Ubuntu is great but its ACPI support as it cant work with vendors is still pretty average. It cuts the battery life on my thinkpad by even more than a half compared to windows xp. I have tweaked it and got like an extra 15 mins. I still use it though but that will be another issue they will have to tackle to become more mainstream. Yes I know it works well with some laptops but I bought this laptop for the features and the warranty not what it worked with.
    Need a sig

Yeah I haven't been able to use some of the power management features (like dimming the backlight) on my Gateway running Fedora 8 so battery life goes downhill. I just dual boot with the Vista that was originally on there and only use it when I need to use the battery for a long time. I plan on replacing Fedora with Ubuntu on that machine, have to see if that works better, so far it has on my other machine I made the switch on.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Will this Ubuntu version work with a USB speedtouch modem?

I've tried a few versions of Linux over the last year and I always have the same problem, I can't get on-line with a speedtouch USB modem, it's the usual driver issues and I get directed to a Linux site but even after trying to work my way through that I've had no success, I find it hard to understand how getting a very common USB modem is so difficult to get to work when wireless connections now seem relatively easy to get connected.

I hope someone can prove me wrong because I would really like to give Linux a good try but as long as I can't get on-line I lose interest quickly

I can't say yes or no to it working, but I can recommend you download it and give it a shot. I couldn't get my Linksys WUSB54G v4 working for ANYTHING with 6.06, 7.04, 7.10, Gentoo or Fedora (even the Ubuntu 8.04 RC1) but with the full version it works great. They've really stepped up the hardware compatibility.
    RIP Bucko

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar
    Need a sig

I definitely say try out the live disk at the least. The latest version of Ubuntu and it's counterparts (Xubuntu) have been working amazing for me.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

About to install but is scared =(.

Ok now i need, help, unless taking 30 min on first boot is normal?

lol. you running on a p2 there noopy? some take a while but that seems to take awhile

are you dual booting or just a clean install?
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1