Thread: weird wireless problem

ATX Mental Case

Default weird wireless problem

Hey everyone
    I'm having some weird problems with my wireless network lately.
    Some general info:
    Comcast ISP
    Linksys WRT54GS v5 router
    two wireless desktop computers

I recently installed Vista onto one of my desktops, and popped in my network adapter a Linksys WUSB54GC. Of course nothing happened and it took me hours just to get Vista to recognize and properly set up the adapter. I finally got thing working and the computer onto the internet.

Now my internet connection randomly drops when it is being taxed a lot. I.e. when downloading a 5gb file or streaming video off of netflix for three hours. My internet connection will randomly drop, and then Vista won't be able to find the network again unless I restart.. and it ONLY does this when I stream video for a while or try to download big files. Just normal browsing does not cause the disconnect.
    Thermaltake 500W
    Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS 680i
    Core 2 Duo E6550
    2gb Patriot DDR2 800
    XFX 8800GT
    WD 120g

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Re: weird wireless problem

I'm thinking bad driver (or is it PITA OS?) but I'm assuming you downloaded the Vista Driver from Linksys. I was reading that Comcast was not going to do anything about limiting subscribers from downloading large files via some programs out there. I'm at a loss here. Maybe change USB ports if possible. maybe that one is having some issues when you get cranking on the internet.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Also make sure that the computer isnt turning off the wifi as part of some power saving mode.. I've had that issue many times.

In the device mangler, check the resources tab on the wifi adaptor to check if it's set to "turn off this device to save power".

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ATX Mental Case

Yea it isn't my ISP because my other desktop with a different linksys adapter and XP is able to download the same large file no problem..

I've checked the power saving mode too. Until I fix this problem I can't download any of my purchased games off of direct2drive!!
    Thermaltake 500W
    Core 2 Duo E6550
    2gb Patriot DDR2 800
    XFX 8800GT
    WD 120g

ATX Mental Case

UPDATE: I mapped the shared folder as a network drive (Z, and then tried using the command prompt to copy over the file. Its exact size is 4.91gb. Still no luck.. I recieve the following error:
    The specified network name is no longer available.
    Thermaltake 500W
    Core 2 Duo E6550
    2gb Patriot DDR2 800
    XFX 8800GT
    WD 120g