Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best route for a gaming laptop?

Greco101

Default The best route for a gaming laptop?

Dell? Alienware? I'm sure a lot of you have them so I'm just looking for suggestions for a friend who has no room for a desktop but wants to game.

That's classified.

Default Re: The best route for a gaming laptop?

Gaming laptops cons:
    -overheating
    -30min battery life
    -bad keyboard
    -1" + thick
    -9lbs +
    -overpriced
    -etc

Pros:
    -You can tell your friends you got an Alienware. 0.o
    -Never mind, there are no pros!

Just tell him to get a 360 console and an 20" LCD. A lot cheaper and he'll actually have $ left over for games.
    Then, he can get a normal laptop, like a Sony SZ, which has a good keyboard, 6 hour battery, and EDGE, Wifi, and Bluetooth built it. Not to mention it's small enough to actually carry!

Trust me, leave the gaming to the desktops and consoles.

Good evening now, I'm going to go watch House M.D.

If he has no room for a desktop, have you ever considered a form factor? They make ultra-slim MicroATX barebones and sell them on newegg.

Link to one.

If you do go with a laptop, Dell Inspirons are fairly nice. HP makes a few gaming laptops. Alienware is just a more expensive Inspiron with bells and whistles.

For a gaming laptop, definitely go with a 17" screen. Anything bigger is top-heavy, and anything less just isn't big enough.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    If he has no room for a desktop, have you ever considered a form factor? They make ultra-slim MicroATX barebones and sell them on newegg.

Link to one.

If you do go with a laptop, Dell Inspirons are fairly nice. HP makes a few gaming laptops. Alienware is just a more expensive Inspiron with bells and whistles.

For a gaming laptop, definitely go with a 17" screen. Anything bigger is top-heavy, and anything less just isn't big enough.
    A 15.4" WXGA is actually just about right for gaming.

I'd like to point out that having a smaller computer has a problem, being able to upgrade. Heat is another issue you have to contend with. It's better to get something like a normal ATX case if you plan on gaming. Especially if it has a 120mm rear exhaust fan.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    A 15.4" WXGA is actually just about right for gaming.

I'd like to point out that having a smaller computer has a problem, being able to upgrade. Heat is another issue you have to contend with. It's better to get something like a normal ATX case if you plan on gaming. Especially if it has a 120mm rear exhaust fan.
    It all depends. Usually smaller cases are easier to cool, as there is less air needed to cool specific parts (larger cases require bigger fans because there is a larger air space). The layout of the case is another factor. Upgrading may be a problem, but it doesn't really seem like it (it's just a slimmer MicroATX case). You may need a low profile video card, but that's about it.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

low profile=lower power.

And I've found smaller cases, aren't easier to cool, my CPU was very hot (I think it got upto 65c). Switched to a cheap $50 ATX case and the temp dropped about 10c. Part of the problem was the CPU though.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Heres my recommendations-
    I am assuming you (or your friend) don't want to spend $2000+ on a laptop, so here's what I view to be the best deals:
    Dell Inspiron 17XX Series (1720/1721): Absolutely great deal, if customized right you can get some really nice configurations for under $1500.

Gateway NX860 Series (NX860X/NX860XL):
    A little higher end then the dell, but staying very affordable. The NX860XL is debatedly the best gaming laptop for $1500.

HP dv95XX series & HP dv9XXX series (dv9500t/dv9000z): Though they start a little higher than the others, you can still get just as good, if not better configurations for the same price range. The Intel setup (dv95XX series) has a little more performance.

Also here's a couple of good deals off of Newegg:
    Fujitsu LifeBook N6460
    ASUS A7 Series A7T-A1
    ASUS F3 Series F3SV-X1

I'd recommend any one of these laptops, and I have read good reviews about a few. If these are out of your price range and yours is below $1000, then lemme know, and I'll do another search.

Hope that helps,
    Indybird

Greco101

Thanks a lot for all the links/info guys. The problem with getting a desktop is he is down from his dads house up north and he just got a job down here where he now doesnt have his own bedroom.

He already has a 360 with the whole 1080p big screen and all that good fun stuff...

He basically just wants a nice laptop that can play games like bf2 etc... with decent settings.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

@Indybird or anyone who knows - With the 1720, you have some great upgrade options compared to the 1721. But I got a question about that. Do you know if you can buy it stock, then upgrade later? Such as with the GPU since you can purchase them usually off of Ebay. I've been interested in the 1720 for a little while now, but I can't afford to beef it up at the same time I purchase it unless I waited for a couple more months of saving up. Tia.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But in a way, I have also contributed to the topic of this thread. imo, the 1720 is the best gaming performance/price ratio.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    @Indybird or anyone who knows - With the 1720, you have some great upgrade options compared to the 1721. But I got a question about that. Do you know if you can buy it stock, then upgrade later? Such as with the GPU since you can purchase them usually off of Ebay. I've been interested in the 1720 for a little while now, but I can't afford to beef it up at the same time I purchase it unless I waited for a couple more months of saving up. Tia.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But in a way, I have also contributed to the topic of this thread. imo, the 1720 is the best gaming performance/price ratio.
    The answer is yes and no. The laptop would have to have the space inside and also the ability to dissipate all the thermal energy (aka heat).

I know of one of my friends who puts in new parts for his dell laptops. So it's possible, which parts to get etc.