Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: NES PC

Default Project: NES PC

Objective:
    Create a media pc for my living room, without an obnoxious tower cluttering up my entertainment center.

Solution:
    The NES PC.
    NES as many of you may recall stands for Nintendo Entertainment System. Over the holiday I made a quick trip to my mother's attic to retrieve this classic icon of my childhood, a few games, some controllers ... and even a Power Glove.

Edit: LOL, just want to say, I'm not the first to do this obviously, and I'm not shooting for the best. I just want a media box with a little geek cred. So, I'm not going to go too in depth on this one, just some pics here and there. If you want to see the real deal, I highly recomend checking out d_stilgar's mod of embarassingly enough the same name, which can be found here: link

Now, to the Nintendo which will be serving as the case.

So, today I'm taking this little guy apart and cleaning up the case. I'm going to save any cutting until the parts get here. But I want to be sure this sucker is clean and gutted before it does get here. Also, I'm going to see about getting the connections ready for the power and reset buttons. (yes they're going to be functional)

Parts List:
    * JetWay J627F800-OC VIA C3 processor VIA CLE266 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU - link
    * iGoLogic Model iPMKIT-60 Mini-ITX DC-DC Power Board with 60Watt AC Adapter - link
    * SAMSUNG MP0201H 20GB 5400 RPM ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM - link
    * Rosewill RCW-603 Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter - link
    * Kingston ValueRAM 128MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) System Memory - link
    Price: $190.95 currently on NewEgg without Shipping

Power/Reset Buttons and DVD Drive from d_stilgar (BIG thanks to Stil for all the help)
    Last edited by Vertigo; 12-30-2006 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Parts List Added
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Default Re: Project: NES PC

Ah, the NES PC. I have to get back to mine. I've got about five projects going on at once, and one of them is an NES PC.

Here is my old version. I have a modded Zelda DVD drive. I'm selling it. If you are interested just PM me. The trading post is gone, so if trading is now illegal then please someone tell me and I'll edit this out.

Here is the drive open. It is not a burner of any kind.

If you have any questions, and I mean any, feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Ah, the NES PC. I have to get back to mine. I've got about five projects going on at once, and one of them is an NES PC.

Here is my old version. I have a modded Zelda DVD drive. I'm selling it. If you are interested just PM me. The trading post is gone, so if trading is now illegal then please someone tell me and I'll edit this out.

Here is the drive open. It is not a burner of any kind.

If you have any questions, and I mean any, feel free to ask.
    I like that Zelda drive

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

LOL, yeah I figured someone else had surely done it. That drive is definitely sweet, check your inbox.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

First, a big thanks to Stil.

Second, NES has been gutted. I decided to save the metal mounting brackets, I'll have to wait till the parts actually get here, but it looks like I'll be able to use these to mount the motherboard and/or hard drive with a little modification. I'll have pics of the process from gutting to hooking up to the tv.
    The Ghostwheel Project

Ok, after a little bit of deliberation, and the pleasant surprise of finding a hidden cache of money (sometimes my wife and I hide money from ourselves, odd tradition but it works) I've decided to go ahead with Project NES PC. I have modified my parts list slightly to reflect this. I'm having an issue however, the ATI Remote Wonder II Wireless Remote was what I was hoping to get as a controller rather than cluttering up the coffee table with a mouse and keyboard. However, I'm having a hard time tracking one down in the US.

I found one, on mini-itx.com link however shipping to the US is over $100. So if anyone has information on where I can find one of these stateside please let me know.

Also, I'm curious about hooking up the DVD drive I'm getting from Stilgar. I've never messed with laptop parts at all, I know I need a converter cable for the noteboook HD I'm ordering, but the rest I'm still a little sketchy on. Anyhow, this is what I'm ordering today:

* Rosewill RCW-603 Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter - link
    * VIA EPIA-5000 VIA C3 533MHz Fanless Processor VIA PLE133 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Set - link
    * iGoLogic Model iPMKIT-60 Mini-ITX DC-DC Power Board with 60Watt AC Adapter - link
    * Kingston 128MB 168-Pin SDRAM PC 100 Desktop Memory Model KVR100X64C3/128 - link
    * Seagate Momentus 5400.3 (Perpendicular Recording) ST9160821A 160GB 5400 RPM ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - link

I decided to order 2 of the converter cables, always good to have a spare around (especially when no one in my city sells them)

If I can't get the Ati controller, then I'll have to stick with a wireless mouse and keyboard. NewEgg has a deal on a decent Logitech set (link), so we'll see.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the motherboard I'm ordering has 2 slots for memory which I was a little surprised about. And a PCI slot, I intend to add a wireless card in the back a bit later (after the big move in a couple of months). I figure the amount of memory I've put in should be sufficient for just playing videos, but if I need to I can upgrade it to 1 gig. I've also decided to go with Xubuntu for an OS, since it's a good lightweight Linux distro, originally I wanted to go with Windows Media edition, but I figure it would be slow on this machine, and it's another 100 dollars I can spend on a better hard drive, etc.
    The Ghostwheel Project

All parts now ordered, I received confirmation and tracking numbers today. So, I should have all of the parts in this week, ready to assemble soon. Thanks again to Stilgar for pointing me in the right direction, managed to get a couple of little extras that I think will work out nicely, including a replacement for the original controller plugin that attackes in the back to the USB port ... meaning I can reuse my old NES controller!
    The Ghostwheel Project

Parts are starting to arrive, I got the Seagate 160g Hard Drive in, and received confirmation from UPS. It looks like everything will be here today so expect some pics soon.
    The Ghostwheel Project

Made some serious progress, thanks in no small part to UPS finally showing up with the bulk of the parts. I just have a little bit of fabrication left, I need to make mounting brackets and cut a few small pieces.

Comments welcome. Mostly just waiting for the DVD Drive now, so I can finish fabrication and plug this puppy in.

SUPER BIG thanks to Stilgar for all of his help.
    The Ghostwheel Project

Glad to hear that you got the stuff from me. I can't wait to see the finished result.