Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some fish suggestions

Default I need some fish suggestions

I know that quite a bit of people here have aquariums and keep fish. Well, I recieved my own aquarium a sone of my gifts. The people here are actually why I wanted to get one. But now I need some fish. I'm going out tomorrow to get some, but I'm not sure what kind I want. Any suggestions?

Default Re: I need some fish suggestions

My first suggestion would be to set up your aquarium, run it for a day or so, test your water, do some research, etc... THEN go buy some fish.

That being said, it looks like no bigger than a 10 gallon tank so you need to decide if you want a "lot" of fish (that term is subjective in a tank that size) or a showstopper.

If it's the former, I would go for a school of 6 to 8 neon tetras, and maybe a dozen "fancy" guppies. It's really the best way to get a lot of bang for your buck with a small tank. You'll get movement, flash, color, and they'll get along fine. Plus the guppies breed like mad so you'll have cute baby fish in no time.... and free food too.

If it's the latter, spend the money and get yourself a nice lion headed oranda, or a calico fantail of some sort... you'll find it actually has a personality and will learn to eat from your hand, plus they are beautiful.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcat View Post
    My first suggestion would be to set up your aquarium, run it for a day or so, test your water, do some research, etc... THEN go buy some fish.

That being said, it looks like no bigger than a 10 gallon tank so you need to decide if you want a "lot" of fish (that term is subjective in a tank that size) or a showstopper.

If it's the former, I would go for a school of 6 to 8 neon tetras, and maybe a dozen "fancy" guppies. It's really the best way to get a lot of bang for your buck with a small tank. You'll get movement, flash, color, and they'll get along fine. Plus the guppies breed like mad so you'll have cute baby fish in no time.... and free food too.

If it's the latter, spend the money and get yourself a nice lion headed oranda, or a calico fantail of some sort... you'll find it actually has a personality and will learn to eat from your hand, plus they are beautiful.
    It's been a VERY long time since I've had fish, but that's good advice there. +rep

i second iron's comments and would say get some neons or goldfish for a tank that size.

i was going to say some black ghost knives or bala/tri colour/ silver sharks but your tank is way to small, so is mine but its longer and 22 gallons.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

neon tetras don't seem to last very well, but they are quite inexpensive and I think they are some of the nicer looking fresh water fish so I would also agree with Ironcat.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I have it all setup now. I would've doen it yesterday but I ended up sleeping for 14 hours. The instruction manual tells me everything I need to do before adding fish, and also tells me not to add too many at once and gives me a chart showing how I should add them. I have it all put together, all of the ceramic rocks cleaned and placed in there, the filter is secured, the air pump is plugged in and working, water is in it, and I added the two treatment packets that it came with. Now It's time for the waiting game. It's a 9 gallon tank by the way.

thats correct.

you have to add the fish slowly to let the tank "cycle". basically let your tank get enough bacteria to break down amonia and nitrites. by adding the fish slowly you will make sure that your bacteria colonies grow with your needs and not get an amonia spike killing you fish. you will have to do reguler water changes to take out the nitrates that are made from breaking down the nitrites.

something else to consider. as a rule of thumb you don't want more than 1 inch of fish per gallon. i.e. you have a 9 gallon tank, theoretically all your fish shouldn't add up to be more then 9 inches ( 9 - 1 inch, 18 - 1/2 inch. etc).

hope this helps

I would stay away from goldfish, they are messy fish. Do some research and figure out which rout e you want to go as stated above. You have to decide if you want to go "cold water" or "tropical" as well. For example, goldfish are cold water fish and can survive in temperatures as low as 68 degrees. With tropical fish you will need a heater because they like temps between 74 an 78 degrees.

I personally like tropical and to start with, I would go with 3-4 small hardy fish. Then in a few weeks, maybe months, you can add some exotic fish. I started with a betta and I am glad I did. They are hardy and easy to take care of as long as you keep-up with your weekly 10% water change. They have great personalities when you have them in larger tanks like this but you can run into problems with introducing other fish with them. My betta killed a chinese algae eater I had a few months ago. PM me if you have any questions on some fish you are interested in.

-dan

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

I have returned, with 2 fish. Both are capable of growing up to 6 inches. I also got a nice plant to make things look nice. I couldn't get a good shot or a clear picture because they were moving too fast.

The black one will have like bugging out eyes when it gets bigger.

Okay, the good and the bad...

1. The good... You made awesome fish choices, especially the Black Moor, they are beautiful fish and they make great pets.

2. The bad... If you're going with more than 1 fish, you made poor fish choices, especially the Black Moor. 2 fish of those types in that size tank will be poisoning each other unless you are literally doing weekly water changes.
    * Goldfish in general can live 10 to 20 to even 30 years, Moors have been noted in excess of 22 years, so plan long term. FYI the longest lived goldfish ever was like 43 or something...
    * Although fish are generally kept to manageable sizes by their environment, someone lied to you. Moors do not get the commonly stated 4-6 inches. Moors easily surpass 8 inches and can get larger than a foot. Keeping them in a small container will NOT keep them from growing, it will stunt them and kill lead to a shorter life, 2 very different things.

Hate to sound so negative, but y'all may remember from other threads that I am a bit of a nut about my aquaria. Good luck with your fishies!
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein