Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Community PC

Default Re: Community PC

Quote Originally Posted by chedabob View Post
    Yeah, but selling a custom pc, could yield waaaaaaay more than its worth, and make more than one kid happy. Or the money raised could make kids happy who want things of a lesser value than a pc.
    show me one example of a custom pc that yeilded waaaaay more than its worth. links would be helpfull!
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

I also think the intent is WAY more valuable to someone than the $$. The guy that buys the custom PC off of ebay is not going to appreciate the system as much as if it was made custom _for_ a specific person. (even though we will not know this person).

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    show me one example of a custom pc that yeilded waaaaay more than its worth. links would be helpfull!
    Well, Llamma made a couple of custom xbox 360s, and they sold for a hell of a lot on ebay.

EDIT:

$10,300 that sold for.

Anodized

Im all for giving to the needy but heres my 2 cents on this subject. To make such a great computer and give it to a needy kid who cant afford one is a waste of some sorts in the fact that they will not have high speed internet, so unless we are going to pay them monthly for that then there would be too much of a computer there to not really be able to play any games or things of that nature.
    I think selling it and giving the money to charity would be more profitable in turn helping the needy.

(also this could be a great time to put my idea about the commumity mod chain using sketch up)

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Im all for giving to the needy but heres my 2 cents on this subject. To make such a great computer and give it to a needy kid who cant afford one is a waste of some sorts in the fact that they will not have high speed internet, so unless we are going to pay them monthly for that then there would be too much of a computer there to not really be able to play any games or things of that nature.
    I think selling it and giving the money to charity would be more profitable in turn helping the needy.

(also this could be a great time to put my idea about the commumity mod chain using sketch up)
    Sure a single family who does not have much for the child, much less a internet connection would not have a great need for a high speed computer, but if the "Community computer" is put into a "Community place" like a cancer center or a orphanage that has the availability to put into effect a connection for the computer than the those around the computer learn that just because there is no one for you at the moment, you can shoot for something great. See how a computer functions, what it is like when one puts there mind to it. Give them that idea that there is always something out there. They can see that greatness can come from a couple little somethings, perhaps have a picture work log showing that it is possible for someone like them to do. Make modders out of them, yet.

It's a moot point now anyway. We have already contacted the Make-A-Wish foundation and asked to be matched with a child's wish with our desire to help fulfill it. We aren't calling back and telling them nevermind. However, if future builds do stem from this idea, we can explore lots of possibilities and I think someone already mentioned building for hospitals. But we'll save that stage of planning for much later, let stay focused on our initial direction. Are we still together on this?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by chedabob View Post
    Well, Llamma made a couple of custom xbox 360s, and they sold for a hell of a lot on ebay.

$10,300 that sold for.
    well good for Llamma .show me the paid reciept. Guy sold a $5 vinyl record last week for $130,000 as well. turned out the buyer was BS. the person who bought that modded XBox already has a 'non-paying buyer' strike against them. and honestly who would pay that kind of money for it? people bid on **** they don't really want and worse, can't afford all the time on ebay. not about to get stuck in that rut trying to sell a modded community PC.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 12-19-2006 at 06:40 PM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Wow Jeremy...that was pretty deep.

Everyone else, i think we've established the best course of action, so let's stop bickering about it and get on with actually helping out the kids. We've not even started yet and feels like we're stuck in Bureaucratic hell already. On with the modding, on with the giving.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Trust me guys. The Make A Wish plan is a MUCH better deal than just giving money to charity. I've been on both sides of the fence with toys for tots, and I've seen the faces of children who's wishes were granted. Proudly, Toys for Tots is one of the few charities that can say that 98 cents of every dollar goes to the children. VERY little is spent on things like advertising, office supplies. In fact, the Marines involved in the program do not see one extra dollar in their paycheck. No matter.

No child deserves to suffer, and no parent should ever have to deal with burying one of their children. Life isn't like that though. Sometimes you get dealt a ****ty hand. Something like this will bring so much joy to a child who is otherwise looking at no future or a very grim one at least.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    I think a lot of you are reallllly missing the point here.

1.) this is not about you, me, your beliefs, or mine. This is about the fact that there is a child. This child -> yeah he or she is going to die soon. That's ****ing horrible. NO ONE should have to bury their children. Here we are sitting around talking about our jobs, our teeth and bull**** that this kid -> yeah he won't get to experience that. So how about a nice cup of Shut the **** Up for everyone, and who cares whether they have high speed internet. I REALLY don't care if they never even logon the damn thing or use it. If that child wants it to sit there in their mother-****ING window as an ornament, then by-God, LET THEM. This is supposed to be from the heart. Not a debate about where and when the money and the best charity and the better spread out, and blah the **** blah blah. Dammit.. Just Give. No conditions. Just Give.

/rant

-Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    It's a moot point now anyway. We have already contacted the Make-A-Wish foundation and asked to be matched with a child's wish with our desire to help fulfill it. We aren't calling back and telling them nevermind. However, if future builds do stem from this idea, we can explore lots of possibilities and I think someone already mentioned building for hospitals. But we'll save that stage of planning for much later, let stay focused on our initial direction. Are we still together on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Wow Jeremy...that was pretty deep.

Everyone else, i think we've established the best course of action, so let's stop bickering about it and get on with actually helping out the kids. We've not even started yet and feels like we're stuck in Bureaucratic hell already. On with the modding, on with the giving.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    Trust me guys. The Make A Wish plan is a MUCH better deal than just giving money to charity. I've been on both sides of the fence with toys for tots, and I've seen the faces of children who's wishes were granted. Proudly, Toys for Tots is one of the few charities that can say that 98 cents of every dollar goes to the children. VERY little is spent on things like advertising, office supplies. In fact, the Marines involved in the program do not see one extra dollar in their paycheck. No matter.

No child deserves to suffer, and no parent should ever have to deal with burying one of their children. Life isn't like that though. Sometimes you get dealt a ****ty hand. Something will bring so much joy to a child who is otherwise looking at no future or a very grim one at least.
    I was going to make a big post about quite a few things, but the four quotes above me took the words out of my mouth.... err... fingers.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"