Thread: Doing some research and could use YOUR help...

Default Doing some research and could use YOUR help...

My wife and I are currently in a spot where we need to cut down on some bills. One of the bills we can really take advantage of is the Cable TV bill. Currently with everything we have on it we are paying right around 140.00 a month this includes Hardware(boxes).

We're considering going the route of Internet TV.

Where I'm stumped:

With all the research Ive done, the only thing I've found are sites like Hulu, Joost etc....what I havent seen is an internet TV service that allows for just plain surfing. I've seen a couple of sites that have straight TV like Freetube and wwitv, these are great and all but it just seems a little too complicated especially for my daughter.

Down to the Question:

How can I do an HTPC that would be able to allow us to channel surf, or give us an easier time in terms of what we're looking for. While I dont mind using a mouse and keyboard, Im more interested in seeing if there is some software that is inexpensive or better yet free, that would put all the sites into a channel style format for specific use with a media player remote or the like.

Yes I do understand that most HTPC's are designed to be more of a DVR rather then an actual video box.

Well there it is, this maybe an incorrect forum to place it so mods if you need to move it thats fine. Thank you for your time.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Doing some research and could use YOUR help...

Hulu has full screen desktop software and I believe it works with PC remotes, might be worth looking into. I'd think of it kind of like working a tv guide, like the kind you get with dish or digital cable or whatever, except just a bit more advanced. It's pretty easy to use though, I just wouldn't say its as easy to use as your average on-screen tv guide.

There are probably better options out there, but I don't know of them. However, I do know, that aside from the remote, everything hulu related is 100% free.

You can also try looking into "Boxee" although I don't know much about it.

Edit: Oh yea, just remembered. Why not look into basic cable? My father has that and its only like $7 or $11 a month for the basic channels. There is also HD over-the-air broadcasts too, which I use every now and again. Drop $40 on a box and hook up an antenna and you get quite a few stations, all in crystal clear HD.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Doing some research and could use YOUR help...

TBH,

from the research I have done for your very same problem I haven't found a true alternative for HD tv. There is really no internet competitors yet, probably because no one can get all the stations to sign a contract with them. If you find one please tell me I would be interested as well.

Good luck,
    Jim
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.