Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems with new processor

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: Problems with new processor

Naw, I'm definitely going to do the processor @ 3.6GHz, FSB 1333, RAM @ 900. I just tried it out real quick and it ran stable, I'm not sure if I'll make it permanent yet though...
    -Indybird

OK, now I got another question for your guys...
    Why did my E6700 OC'd to 3GHz get a 5.9 from the Windows Rating Thing and my E6850 @ 3GHz got a 5.6?

That makes absolutely no sense to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    OK, now I got another question for your guys...
    Why did my E6700 OC'd to 3GHz get a 5.9 from the Windows Rating Thing and my E6850 @ 3GHz got a 5.6?

That makes absolutely no sense to me...
    What? I don't understand what you're asking... There's a Windows Rating thing?
    RIP Bucko

ATX Mental Case

because one is doing more than it should the other is doing just as is should. it's like 120% to 100%

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    What? I don't understand what you're asking... There's a Windows Rating thing?
    Its a Vista feature...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    because one is doing more than it should the other is doing just as is should. it's like 120% to 100%
    So you're saying a 2.66GHz E6700 OC'd to 3GHz is faster than a 3GHz E6850?
    If so, that still makes no sense.

-Indybird

The 6850 has a lower multiplier than the E6700. And also is techically 3 MHz slower if your processor is running at the stock speed. Another thing is the FSB is running at a higher speed than the E6700, however it is still strange.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

OK, I just read a couple reviews just to check what their average voltages are. With the bus speed set to 400, it runs at 3.6Ghz. They all had they're voltages set around ~4.75. I set the bus speed to 400 and the voltage to 4.750 and it won't boot. Next time I boot up it says overclock/overvoltage failed. I have my RAM at it's default setting, so thats definitely not the problem. What's going on here?

Second, I noticed they all had their FSB around 1600MHz. I can't find any place to change the FSB, how do I do that? Do you think that could be causing my bad startups?

Thanks,
    Indybird

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird;
    So you're saying a 2.66GHz E6700 OC'd to 3GHz is faster than a 3GHz E6850?
    If so, that still makes no sense.

-Indybird
    no not faster but it still running at 120% as opposed to 100% so it gives it a higher rating because the rating is based on percentage not accual speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    no not faster but it still running at 120% as opposed to 100% so it gives it a higher rating because the rating is based on percentage not accual speed.
    Well, thats a dumb rating system. It should be on raw processing power...

-Indybird

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    OK, I just read a couple reviews just to check what their average voltages are. With the bus speed set to 400, it runs at 3.6Ghz. They all had they're voltages set around ~4.75. I set the bus speed to 400 and the voltage to 4.750 and it won't boot. Next time I boot up it says overclock/overvoltage failed. I have my RAM at it's default setting, so thats definitely not the problem. What's going on here?

Second, I noticed they all had their FSB around 1600MHz. I can't find any place to change the FSB, how do I do that? Do you think that could be causing my bad startups?

Thanks,
    Indybird
    One thing you should do when you OC is base your settings off of _your_ system, not other people's. If you want it at 400, work you way up, increasing voltages as needed.

Also, you are changing the FSB (front side bus). Intel "quad-pumps" their processors, meaning its 400x4. Hence, the 1600 FSB. Some BIOS (like mine) show the output of the post quad-pumped number (like mine is at 1485ish).

Like I said, take it slow, up the FSB but with small increments, run Prime95 a lot, when you get an error, up the voltage... It's very tedious, and boring, but a good OC should take a couple of weeks to do.
    RIP Bucko