Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Penryn benchmarks hit the net.

Default Re: Penryn benchmarks hit the net.

The intel Core 2 Quads are true quad cores, just not as efficient. Well... that's my view on it.

As for clock speeds, they've been shown to help, however the netburst architecture was very efficient when processes per cycle. And you can overclock AMD CPUs as well to get higher clock speeds.... just you have to compare it to a intel C2D when at stock (sometimes).

AMD was the first to be efficient in processing per cycle. Intel eventually caught on that higher clock speeds didn't work. However, I still think AMD wins in the low to mid-range market because their CPUs still perform very well, especially when given a 400-800MHz boost.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    We are sitting on an amazing amount of processing power. There is more power in your computer than there was in the entire world 35 years ago (easily).

Just so we can have see through window panes in vista.

Agree with all you say

Today I asked my PC to calculate Pi to 32 million digits. I was watching TV on it and searching the web at the same time it took a little over half an hour or so. Processor was tootling along at 60 - 70% and rose to 43 degrees

It's dumb this computing power is not fully harnessed - Seti and the like were interesting experiments in distributed computing.

nee'r mind: "Mod on"
    Last edited by Crazy Buddhist; 08-14-2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spleilng

Do you have dual core?

EDIT: And regarding SETI and such like, they love my computer. I can do 4 tasks at one time by adjusting the loading on my computer. (Setting Affinity ftw!)

AMD is currently working on a couple processor projects to compete with Intel.

One of them, as you may know, is the Barcelona Quad-Core, and the Phenom line of processors.

And also, AM3 is reported to be out some time in February.

Right now, the Penryn is kicking some major arse though.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    @ quakken - You also know that the common TI-83 calculator has more processing power than the entire Apollo Space Ship did, right? THAT'S scary.. -J
    It also flies better.

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    Do you have dual core?

EDIT: And regarding SETI and such like, they love my computer. I can do 4 tasks at one time by adjusting the loading on my computer. (Setting Affinity ftw!)
    err .. 3 posts up Athlon 64 X2 4200+ OC 2.44Ghz; cooled with Noctua NH-U9F ? hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    My first rig was an Intel. Everything since has and will I suspect forever be an AMD. Because it isn't Intel.

Current rig: MSI K8N-SLI (jury out); AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ OC @2.44Ghz; cooled with Noctua NH-U9F Asus EN8500GT 512MB DDR3 Silent Magic GPU OC @ 500Ghz and going higher 2Gb High Density Noname Ram Onboard CreativeLabs 24bit Soundblaster chip K-World DVB-T Digital TV tuner Maxtor 160G IDE HDD Maxtor 40G IDE HDD, Windows 2000 Windows XP
    Matthew

Oh and the Asus EN8500GT Silent Magic 512MB graphics card I like a lot. Its fanless and with a mahhoosive heatsink. I have a 120mm fan positioned to pull air into the desk drawer and 3/4 of it hits that heatsink. It comes set at 400Mhz GPU speed but I knocked it up to 500 for my first try Overclock and its stable as anything and never goes over 50 - 55 C. Its designed to run from 75 - 125 C. Here its all in the picture:

Oh and the best of it is ^^^^^ that little silver fan on the northbridge you see half of in this picture is the noisiest thing in the PC. The maker of my CPU cooler makes a northbridge cooler thoughh. It will be right in the airflow form that big fan even though its designed to be fanless.

Whoops xP.

To me anything over 50% loading is weird ^-^;

But did you have Super Pi running over the 2 cores?

Whoops xP.

To me anything over 50% loading is weird ^-^;

But did you have Super Pi running over the 2 cores?
    Weird? I was trying to stress test my machine with its new cooler ^- see pic above -^ and see how hot it got. Could that explain it's weirdness or am I missing something.

I was watching television. SuperPi could have been running anywhere for all I know.

Because I have a quad core computer, the 100% loading is divided by 4, one for each core. I find it weird because I've gotten used to having 4 cores, I can do intensive processing (like virus scans or WMV9 encoding) and still have enough power on the other 3 cores to run SupCom.

If you didn't tell Windows to make SuperPi run on 1 core, then it would have automatically run over the 2 cores.

Because I have a quad core computer, the 100% loading is divided by 4, one for each core. I find it weird because I've gotten used to having 4 cores, I can do intensive processing (like virus scans or WMV9 encoding) and still have enough power on the other 3 cores to run SupCom.

If you didn't tell Windows to make SuperPi run on 1 core, then it would have automatically run over the 2 cores.
    I don't know how to tell windows how to do that. The X2 & Noctua only got installed 2 days ago. Haven't looked into what it does or anything. Have noticed that the really heavy apps I use are much much happier.