Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a HDD question.

Default Re: a HDD question.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    i only like Seagate and raptors. ^^ yes thats what i will do. 2 250's in raid 0 or 1 not sure yet. 750gb back up.
    Seagate bought and own Maxtor brand and company - lock, stock and barrel. Maxtor drives are Seagate drives.

Is awesome

ah i see...

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Seagate bought and own Maxtor brand and company - lock, stock and barrel. Maxtor drives are Seagate drives.
    Ah. I didn't know that.
    You learn something every day.

Quote Originally Posted by r0adawg
    and make backups you may never need them but should the unthinkable happen, you'll be thankful for the backup.
    Normally, my data is put at risk by me. Luckily, after losing everything twice*, I've learned. I now archive my /home folder to DVD.

*(Actually on the family XP box.) Once by me formatting the wrong partition, (Actually, the whole drive. Oops...), and once by the local computer shop repairing a hardware problem and doing a nuke'n'pave on the HDD.
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

I run 3 Seagate drives, and they're fairly cool, quiet, and fast. I also have a 120GB Maxtor (in another system) and a 200GB Maxtor. The 200GB drive is a little louder than my other HDDs but it's no concern. However, my 120GB is quite loud, you can hear it over most things.

EDIT: I should mention that the Maxtor drives are around 3 years old for the 200GB and 4-5 years old for the 120GB drive.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Love them maxtor drives. I still have my 10 Gig maxtor running at a blistering 7200 RPM. It was the first of it's kind what 7 Years ago? I bought it to run Sim City 3000, my 2.5 Gig couldn't fit it haha!

So until they were bought out by Seagate I have had only good experiences with them. And well I own all Seagates where my drives are less than 3 years old, so same drives same quality I say!
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

Hey AlexanderH, good to see someone else still running one of those 10 GB/7200 RPM Maxtors! It's the OS drive in my Sempron box (the storage drive's a 60 GB/5400 RPM that seems to work fine but fails SMART tests... so I'm gonna replace it soon). Got a 30 GB in my Tbird that's doing fine as well. My main drive's a Western Digital that I've had for a year and a half, as is my mother's 20 GB which is from 1999. As for failures, I've had three - two 20 GB drives that were in hot cases for three-plus years (one WD and one Seagate) and one Seagate that was babied for six months before it crapped out.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Speaking of Maxtors... mine recently decided to turn itself into a paperweight. I think its still under warranty I just hope I can find the paperwork.

I also have two WD 74gb Raptors. My older one (with 8mb cache) has been a champ for about 3 years and is still going strong but when I bought a newer one (with 16mb cache) it failed within the first month and I had to replace it and **** it all if its not slower AND louder than my old 8mb cache one. I wish I could find the old ones because they sure as hell don't make them like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimReality View Post
    Speaking of Maxtors... mine recently decided to turn itself into a paperweight. I think its still under warranty I just hope I can find the paperwork. ...
    Tried looking under your paperweight?

CrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I didnt know this either but it makes sense now. I was at staples the other day and in the drive aisle I seen a Maxtor box with a seagate security seal. i just thought I was going crazy.

OrsoDesigns ... they bought Maxtor well over a year ago so you'll be glad you are not going crazy. Unless you are Crazy, of course, in which case I suppose you may actually be disappointed

"By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 21 December 2005, 08:54

Seagate to buy Maxtor for $2 billion

Updated Hard drive hard cheese

* SEAGATE and Maxtor confirmed the acquisition. The deal is worth $1.9 billion. The firms said the combination will be 10-20% accretive on a cash EPS basis after the first full year of combined operations. The combined company will save around $300 million in operating expenses after the first full year of integration, Seagate said. The transaction will be completed in the second half of next year. If the deal falls apart, Maxtor will pick up $300 million. The two firms will continue as separate companies until the close of the deal."

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...ps/diamondmax/

^^^ and that URL from seagates site rather gives it all away

As does the Maxtor FAQ

Q: When did Seagate's acquisition of Maxtor close?

A: May 19, 2006

Q: What was the closing price of Maxtor (MXO) on May 19, 2006?

A: $9.27

CrazyB