Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weird question

Default Re: Weird question

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy View Post
    ... that would entail a VERY dense material, and in fact a new element if all the nuclei were stuck together. we're talking neutron stars here if this were the case. ...

perhaps the electron orbital hybridization involved in the creation of compounds is responsible for allowing light to pass through. even further to that, i might make the guess that colors are determined by the distances between atoms. i cant say why yet, because im still working it out in my head as we speak, but ill try to let you know soon. its starting to make sense to me at least.
    I think that first one is that theoretical thingy called a black-hole.

I think you are close to truth with your hypopotamus, however I think you need a little more wavey gravy and a little less particularisation

Life is like an analogy...

I think that first one is that theoretical thingy called a black-hole.
    not quite. neutron stars are super dense and basically made of neutrons and possible some protons. black holes are damn near singularities. if a neutron start collapsed into itself for some reason, it would become a black hole.

I think you are close to truth with your hypopotamus, however I think you need a little more wavey gravy and a little less particularisation
    well thats what i was thinking too. now excuse me while i run that statement through babelfish...

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy View Post
    well thats what i was thinking too. now excuse me while i run that statement through babelfish...
    Let me do it for you: Computer says:

"CrazyB means particles are not really solid and waves don't lack substance"

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    does his name not answer that for you??
    and even if he isnt mental he's sure ****ing smart!!
    Blimey. You get +rep.

In fact anyone who wants rep say that ^^

heheheheheheh

CrazyB

Damn Im hungry ... it's cafe time.

not quite. neutron stars are super dense and basically made of neutrons and possible some protons. black holes are damn near singularities. if a neutron start collapsed into itself for some reason, it would become a black hole.
    Neutron stars mean that the cooling, dying star no longer has the energy to support the inrtamolecular forces to maintain space between atomic nuclei and 99.999% space inside the electrom orbitals is lost squeezing the neutron together into a supermass density. A collapsing neutron start will only become a black hole provided it's mass is great enough (i.e. 3 times the mass of our sun). With that mass, the force of the gravity is stronger than the neutrons themselves causing them to become anhilated or crushed under the pressure. Thsi continues until all mass is un detectable to a singularity which produces a gravitational pull as strong as the original star.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Just for fun, since we are talking physics and all. Trivia question. Below is a diagram of two scenarios. On the left, 3 projectors with primary colored lens project beams on the screen so that the three images over lap. On the right, one projector projects a single beam of light through three overlapping primary colored lens with the light passing throgh the yellow first, then red, then blue. Questions...

A) Will the overlapped boxed marked with question marks show the same color on each screen? If so, what colors? If not, what color will they both be?

B) Can you explain this phenomenon?

Try not to look it up anywhere, just think it through and come up with your own ideas and see who knows their physics.

Definate reppage to well thought out answers.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 08-03-2007 at 04:13 AM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Questions...

A) Will the overlapped boxed marked with question marks show the same color on each screen? If so, what colors? If not, what color will they both be?

B) Can you explain this phenomenon?
    Answers:

A) No.

Assuming no image is being projected the first the box will be plain white. This is because each projector will fliter out all but the light in the same colour as the lens. When the three primary colours are superimposed on the screen they will project an (approximately) white light.

The second scenario the box will be black (no light). This is because the yellow filter will only let yellow light through. None of this will even get to the third lens - the blue - because the second lens will only let red light through and the yellow one already stopped that and the blue light.

B) Yes. See above.

CrazyB

To my knowledge, that is a perfect answer. Way to go smarty pants!

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    To my knowledge, that is a perfect answer. Way to go smarty pants!
    Thank you kind sir. BUT, how did you know I was wearing my smart trousers this morning? That bit is worrying me. Thanks for the rep

CrazyB

tinfoil-underwear

Wow... the question is super good, but this thread is completely nuts.

I'm going to read all posts here, but at 6:15 in the morning, I'm afraid I might get an overdose too early in the morning of the crazyness. =\

Material's Transparency:::
    My Take on It:::

Remember all radiation is waves... EM waves.
    EM waves are both the light you're seeing, and the light you're not seeing.
    EM waves is both xRays, and gamma rays. InfraRed waves, and microwaves.

Soooo!
    You're saying some materials are transaparent and some are not?
    Depends on what wave you're talking about.
    A gamma ray for example, will pretty much cross over lots of materials/compounds/pure elements.
    So for a 'gamma ray', a LOT of materials are this "transparent" you speak of.
    Yet for 'infrared rays', a LOT of materials are as solid as the keyboard under your fingers.

Check out the Electromagnetic Spectrum.
    See, the the gamma rays over on the left are very, very tiny waves.
    As you move to the right, the waves become bigger.

Tiny waves have a better chance of moving through the universe without hitting anything (radiating "on")... ie: transparency
    Bigger waves have a better chance of hitting something in our world.
    That's why FM radios (small) have better reception than AM (long). [[course course... most has to do with the better system for frequency modulation versus amplitude modulation, but still]]

Transparency Requirements:
    1- what WAVE length are you talking about
    2- what material/crystal/compound are you talking about

There are materials that are pretty transparent to lots of waves, while other pretty opaque.

Or take a Faraday Cage.
    Depending on its design, it'll stop certain wavelengths.

It's funny when people ask me:::
    Should I be worried that my TV or monitor is emitting radiation?
    And I'm like:::
    That's the whole point!!!

Umm.//...
    I was typing, and I kinda lost the thread... I'm just going to post this.

Two bunnies to all the crazies here
    Last edited by AJ@PR; 08-03-2007 at 06:30 AM.
    You're in TBCS?
    You do realize we're following a guy that's the

VP of Regional Sales for
    Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids

I'm just sayin'...