Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Server Stuff

Default Re: Server Stuff

I know I am stepping in late here....

Last time I used one of the free-dns tools, I remember there was a windows script that would run when I booted up my main system. The script would determine the _outside_ connection IP and update the free-dns record automagically. I have not used it in years, but it may be the same. Look on the FAQ's at the free-dns provider for info.

This way you do not have to pay for a static IP, and they can be expensive. (Not even sure Verizon will sell you one...)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

BEFW11S4.

**Changed** At the Free DNS site, it says I have 5 dynamic update candidates. I have the option for a wget script as a Batch file, is that what I need?

Edit: Actually, I'm downloading this, and I'll see how that works.
    RIP Bucko

check your linksys admin.... under advance and then dmz host. I think that this is the best place for your server to be at... configured correctly, you should be able to host your site.

for more info, check out your user guide under dmz host.

hope this helps you

WOOOP WOOOP BXZZZZZZPT!

Warning, DMZ is not the best idea UNLESS you know for sure your server is secure from outside attacks! Be warned or be hacked!

Sorry for that public service announcement, but the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Last time I stuck a server in the DMZ it came under immediate attack. And I mean less than 5 minutes after I put it in the DMZ people were trying to crack passwords... The last thing you want is a server that is being used by spammers as a mail forwarder. It may take some time to point all the correct ports to your server, but only put it in the DMZ as a last resort.

And yes Mal I am pretty sure that is what you want.

Ok, so I won't use DMZ lol.

I think for now I'm going to leave the thing alone, and see what happens tomorrow. I'll work on content for tonight, and then tomorrow morning I'll see if anything has changed. When I enter the name it says "This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com", so I think it just needs to register.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Ok, so I won't use DMZ lol.

I think for now I'm going to leave the thing alone, and see what happens tomorrow. I'll work on content for tonight, and then tomorrow morning I'll see if anything has changed. When I enter the name it says "This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com", so I think it just needs to register.
    Is that the info you get when you type in www.domainnamehere.com?

If so that means the dns maps have pushed already and you need to log into the place you purchased the domain name and update the records to point to the free-dns server. it may take as much as 24 hours for the dns maps to push to all the servers around the world. The best way to see if you can access your server from outside your site, is to connect from another system, say at work, and connect to the IP addy on your router using firefox. If it is setup right, you will see either the index page or a 404 error, or an Apache page telling you to build some content.

Yep, it looks like a GoDaddy ad or something lol.

I logged in and changed the DNS servers to the servers provided by Free DNS. According to Free DNS, I also don't have any broken domains. The status is "Active" and all other entries seem to be pointing to my IP.
    RIP Bucko

I don't have anything in mine about Static NAT, but under UPnP forwarding, I enabled the entry "HTTP" which is on Port 80, to point to 192.168.1.3 (what I gave my server).
    Perfect. And as Airbozo said I would not use the DMZ - unless you revert to my earlier suggestion of building an IPCOP based firewall between the router and the server.

Yep, it looks like a GoDaddy ad or something lol.

I logged in and changed the DNS servers to the servers provided by Free DNS. According to Free DNS, I also don't have any broken domains. The status is "Active" and all other entries seem to be pointing to my IP.
    Thats it. You used GoDaddy to register but you have to tell them where your DNS records are maintained. You have done that so by the time you awake it should have propogated through the DNS system and you'll be live.

Probably do need some kind of reporting script to keep your free-dns record up to date automatically.

CrazyB

Ok, so I went to the "Total DNS Control" page at the GoDaddy website, and changed A to my IP... turns out that was at some strange IP that wasn't mine. Update was successful, but I still need to allow 24-48 hours for the DNS to propagate on the net. I'm pretty sure that was my problem, and now I feel dumb lol. I imagine that I'll also have to change the other entries (ftp, email, etc.) to make them point to the subdomains I have on Free DNS? Like, right now, ftp points to ftp.secureserver.net. I'll have to change that if I want ftp to my site without ftping to my server (not that I need it anyways)?

I think I'm going to look into Sendmail or Postfix. Just to mess around with it and see how hard it actually is.

Edit: Yep, it was the "Total DNS Control" deal that made it suck. Now, it works. Time to work on my subdomains!
    RIP Bucko

Coolio .. glad it's all going to plan.