Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Stuff

Default Re: Server Stuff

Thanks for the suggestion calumc, but having a proper domain name what I'm looking to do. Once I do finally get my site running it'll be small, but I'm hoping to have it for a while and build up traffic. It'll take time but it's not something I'm going to ditch in a year, ya know?

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist
    Some of the Dynamic DNS services listed on the DMOZ page linked above are free Mal as in no cost, nada, rien, gratuit !
    Really? Most of the ones I check had some sort of fee (or a catch, like using a domain.theirsite.com). Which were free? Have you used any of them before, are they to be trusted?
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Really? Most of the ones I check had some sort of fee (or a catch, like using a domain.theirsite.com). Which were free? Have you used any of them before, are they to be trusted?
    No I have never used them. I would research the subject on google Mal and I am sure you will find there are one or two good really free ones. Free DNS look good at first sight:

"Free DNS Hosting, Dynamic DNS Hosting, Static DNS Hosting, subdomain and domain hosting.

Why is it free? It's quite simple. We wanted a challenge... that's it.

Possible Uses:

* Host your own site on your own connection from home/work/school/etc
    * Access your computer with a name (like zeus.afraid.org or yourdomain.com) instead of a numeric IP address
    * Run your own http server, ftp server, or anything you want to install on your computer/server
    * Fetchable URL to update your IP instantly on our network if you have a dynamic address"

It looks perfect for your porpoises Mal. So why haven't I used it? Political reasons:

I have always paid for hosting for my website. Now I pay for hosting in Panama for my website. This is because various Authorities in the UK don't like what I write. They try to take me "off the air".

Last year I got fed up of fighting such banality so I did a little research. I discover that the Queen of England owns most of her wealth through Panamanian offshore companies. Panamanian laws are great if you want a little secrecy or less hassle:

1) It is illegal to ask who owns an offshore Panamanian company
    2) It is impossible for anyone outside Panama to take action against a website hosted there

If anyone goes to the trouble of trying to hassle me now my Panamanian webhost has made an agreement with me that we will force the issues before the Panamanian courts so that the facts are tried. This means I now can't be hassled by the Authorities who dislike my views.

CrazyB

Jesus, what is on your site? Starting a rebellion against her majesty? LOL I'm just kidding, though it looks like you have some controversial stuff on there. I'm all for freedom of speech

I'm signing up for Free DNS right now, thanks for the tip. Does anybody know, will I be able to have my own email account for my site; ie, andysummers at domain.com? 'Cause that would be cool! Do I need SendMail for this?
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; 08-03-2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: changed @ to at
    RIP Bucko

Jesus, what is on your site? Starting a rebellion against her majesty? LOL I'm just kidding, though it looks like you have some controversial stuff on there. I'm all for freedom of speech

I'm signing up for Free DNS right now, thanks for the tip. Does anybody know, will I be able to have my own email account for my site; ie, andysummers at domain.com? 'Cause that would be cool! Do I need SendMail for this?
    The rebellion began 2,500 years ago. It's coming to fruition which is why all the nuts (George Bush, Tony Blair, Saddam Hussein, etc etc etc) are coming out of the woodwork

You will need to run your own mailserver on your server and create DNS records that point there for mail. I don't know the intricacies of this as I have always been hosted. I think its called an MX record.

for that email thing there is a hack for hotmail that lets you register whatever you want. gimme a few minuites and ill try and dig it up
    ok i cant find it and im not sure that id be allowed to post it here anyways. but if you goole around there are some services that will give you a small amount of storage with your own domain for free
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Running your own mail server can be tricky to setup. Once it is setup, just make sure that you keep up with the security fixes, since hackers LOVE to exploit the vulnerabilities of Sendmail and the like. Oh and Sendmail IS one bloated piece of work that takes a doctorate to fully understand. That being said, there is NO equal. There are plenty of tutorials out there for setting up and administering sendmail and keeping it secure. I know enough about sendmail to get it setup, but outside of that I almost NEVER muck with the MX records. They make my head hurt just looking at them.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

"if John Ashcroft wants my GMail - he only need write a memo to get mail older than three months. Yet, if John Ashcroft wants email on my personal server, he must obtain a search warrant signed by a Judge."

That says it all to me.

Mal, check out Squirrelmail and Postfix

CrazyB

I was about to contribute something, but CrazyB and Airbozo already said everything. Oh.. MX records aren't all that hard. +rep to them.

So I just installed Joomla. I installed it to my network IP so I imagine I'll have to change the config to my domain name when I buy it (I know, I've been saying that a lot but I'm finally going to), but that's no biggie. To anyone who has used Joomla: Are there any good tutorial sites for adding content? I was looking through the options and it looks pretty easy, but if you've got some recommends that would be sweet.

And this is probably a question I'll just have to answer myself, but most of the Dynamic DNS clients for Free DNS are .php scripts (I think that's what you would call it?). How do I actually make them work, do I add the text to my webpages or something? There isn't much documentation on it so...
    RIP Bucko

... I imagine I'll have to change the config to my domain name when I buy it (I know, I've been saying that a lot but I'm finally going to) ...
    Mal is money whats been stopping you? If yes send me a PM and I will buy it for you for christmas. Least I can do after your help in other threads man. I'll pay for it for two years for you after that its over to you if you wanna keep it you pay the dollar.

CrazyB