Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Server Stuff

Default Re: Server Stuff

@ calumc - I'm still working on the header. That's the general idea of what I want, and for a while I couldn't figure out how to display it (damn template has 3 CSS files...) so that was more for testing proposes. I changed it a little, but I'm still playing with it.

@ AB - I changed it to SMTP, so I'll test that out. Now to make ANOTHER email account... Good thing I can have up to 100...

Edit: Thanks computer geek .

Edit 2: Hmmm... I set it to SMTP server and it still doesn't work. I imagine it's the blank settings that I don't know that's keeping it from working. Since I'm using the Google mail, I don't know these. These are my settings.

SMTP Server
    SMTP User: *blank, I don't know what they mean, perhaps my admin Google account name?*
    SMTP Password *again, blank*
    SMTP Server: localhost (default)
    SMTP Auth: No
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    Thanks StgM. I think the problem is the fact that Google's SMTP uses SSL, and Joomla has no way to work with that. There's a hack I found that uses a completely different mailer with Joomla, and requires some PHP editing, so I'm going to try that one more time, and if it doesn't work, then I'll just learn Postfix or Sendmail. I've been at this for 3 days nonstop, and in that time I'm sure I could have had Postfix or Sendmail running.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Thanks StgM. I think the problem is the fact that Google's SMTP uses SSL, and Joomla has no way to work with that. There's a hack I found that uses a completely different mailer with Joomla, and requires some PHP editing, so I'm going to try that one more time, and if it doesn't work, then I'll just learn Postfix or Sendmail. I've been at this for 3 days nonstop, and in that time I'm sure I could have had Postfix or Sendmail running.
    Mal,

Have you set up an MX record for your mail server at the free dynamic dns place? I think relays check the sender address against MX records
    and won't forward mail that doesn't match. this might be part of the issue. You will certainly need to create an MX record to receive mail or servers and relays won't know where to find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Mal,

Have you set up an MX record for your mail server at the free dynamic dns place? I think relays check the sender address against MX records
    and won't forward mail that doesn't match. this might be part of the issue. You will certainly need to create an MX record to receive mail or servers and relays won't know where to find you.

I looked around FreeDNS but didn't find anything about MX records. I did add some stuff to GoDaddy's MX thing (because Google told me to in the install). Like I said though, I'm about to just read the 30 page manuals for Postfix and Sendmail, because I'm sure it can't be worse than this. I'm about to tear my hair out. I just need to find a nice looking/functioning email program now...
    RIP Bucko

I just checked MX records for arcanesystems.com. They look fine at the moment.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsrep...anesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    I just checked MX records for arcanesystems.com. They look fine at the moment.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsrep...anesystems.com
    Yeah, I didn't think I did anything wrong. Which is why I figure it's Joomla's fault.

Based on this tutorial, I should be set up fairly quickly. Project for when I get home later tonight. After that, I'll download Thunderbird and hopefully be good to go.
    RIP Bucko

Ok, so I did some stuff, and I have to say, I have no idea what I did. My eyes are just about to bleed, since I've been up for almost 17 hours, and this is HELLA CONFUSING. My GoDaddy settings are like this: (These are my CNAMES) email - mail.arcanesystems.com; smtp - smtp.arcanesystems.com; pop - pop.arcanesystems.com. I went through the Thunderbird setup, setup my account, and when I click "Get Mail" it mail.arcanesystems.com prompts for a password. I have never made a password for it. Where and how do I make this password?

Sorry I sound like a 5th grader. I'm just tired and frustrated with this whole thing.
    RIP Bucko

Well, that's a good thing. It's communicating correctly. What did you end up using for E-mail? Go to your user settings, and reset the password for the account you are trying to work with. (I'm assuming there's a webmin module for your E-mail users)

I'm using Postfix. I found the place to change email passwords, and it worked. I'm not sure if I have my MX Records right though. Since I had no idea what I'm doing, I have 1 record with a Priority of 10, the host is "mail", it goes to "mail.arcanesystems.com", and the TTL is 1 week. I have an A record called "mail" too.

Thanks for all the continued help with this everyone!

Edit: I checked that link you sent my StgM, and after I changed the MX record, it's still working fine. I pass all the MX tests. I can ping mail.arcanesystems.com fine, but my problems lie with SMTP.

Edit 2: Now that I get back from work, I can't ping mail.arcanesystems.com either. I haven't changed anything... .
    RIP Bucko