Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Warriors?

Default Re: Any Warriors?

I'm looking into it soon, any recommendations?
    In my experience, aikido or Ju Jitsu are the most fun and Ju Jitsu is the most practical for real world application for one on one. I would try to find one of these first, then maybe look for Kung Fu. I didn't care much for Tae kwon do or Karate.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sambo.

"Your opponent cannot kick you if you break his leg."

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

I'm a black belt in Taekwondo, but I stopped because 2 years ago because my after school computing classes were on the same afternoon...

I have a bunch of ninja friends, one of my besties does Hoshin four nights a week.

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.

I have taken some Brazilian Jujitsu but Ive always wanted to take mui tia. Those guys are bad son of a .... Huhemmm.

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

I do Karate with the police, and the guy who does our Gradings is the guy who 'brought Karate to Scotland'.

It's great; because the guys use it almost every day in fights, the usual pattern goes like: "...and that's what you do in a competition. Now, in the street, if some guy is coming for you, what you do is this instead, and you can see, that will break his nose for you, then you do this and he won't be getting up. Then you get out of there."

Of course, haven't been in a while...but when I was there, I was known to have good kicks, reactions, and a high pain threshold. I wasn't too aggressive though, which meant my sparring partners ended up chasing me across the hall while I blocked everything...not exactly exciting!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I'm looking into it soon, any recommendations? I was gonna take Chin Na, but they don't have trainers for it.
    Chin Na isn't a form in it's own right it is a very specialized training within Kung Fu. Any decent Kung Fu instructor can give you Chin Na training once you choose a discipline.

p.s. I have a small amount of training (but no belts) in both Muai Thai and Gong Fu (Cantonese Kung Fu).
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

I loves Aikido..its fun being repeatedly thrown around a room by men twice your size

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcat View Post
    Chin Na isn't a form in it's own right it is a very specialized training within Kung Fu. Any decent Kung Fu instructor can give you Chin Na training once you choose a discipline.

p.s. I have a small amount of training (but no belts) in both Muai Thai and Gong Fu (Cantonese Kung Fu).
    ...which goes to show how little I truly know about martial arts, lol. I'll look into Kung Fu then... I wonder who happens to be around my area. Thanks Ironcat.

EDIT: Just saw jd's post (damn lack of contacts atm) and I guess that may work too... do something simple and then step up to a different martial art... hmm...

I would recommend any martial art be taken with a dose of meditation. I hear from martial artists who started meditating it changed their martial arts practice. The calming effects of meditation enhance all sports and have the additional benefit of making one less likely to ever resort to physical violence, either in attack or defense.

Life is like an analogy...

i dont have any formal training, but i do my own improvised weapon work. i like going at it with a big sword or axe. i used to be all about the surprise attack, but now im strong enough that i just beat my opponents into submission. mind you, i dont usually go up against other people because not many are into the whole swordplay scene.

i know theres various medieval reenactment groups and contests... but i dont know if those are my kind of thing... although i guess that would be the best place to beat the crap out of someone in the style i like.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it