Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSX Panther on AMD or Intel chip- Does it work??

Default OSX Panther on AMD or Intel chip- Does it work??

I got a copy of Mac OS X Panther. I was wondering if i could install it on an AMD Duron Computer running Ubuntu 6.06 and a Pentium 4 computer running WinXP. Help greatly appreciated. Thanks
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Default Re: OSX Panther on AMD or Intel chip- Does it work??

as far as i know it has to be a hacked copy to run on a pc.

and heres a question while i think of it, hardware wise what makes macs so different from pcs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Yep, calumc hit the nail on the head. There are various "versions" floating around on the internet (that I won't tell you how to get) that run on x86 platforms. It was originally a developer release, then it leaked, and well...

And trust me, they aren't worth your time.
    RIP Bucko

Plus running a Mac operating system on something that isn't an Apple Mac is illegal...

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Plus running a Mac operating system on something that isn't an Apple Mac is illegal...
    Because the only way to do it is with the leaked x86 version... Which is obviously not what you have...
    RIP Bucko

You can run it within a virtual machine spec'ed to an intel mac...
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

well whatever, i already have linux
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

@whoever it was that asked what the difference hardware wise between a mac and pc was.

The difference is a little chip placed on apple motherboards that (in simple terms) says "hey I'm a mac, feel free to boot OS X."

I believe the chip is called a TPM or trusted platform module. It's been a while since i read about it but i think it allows the OS to verify the hardware that it is running on. Thats how they keep you from booting OS X on a generic PC. That and i think mac's have a different boot process. They don't use typical BIOS.

Other than that ever since the switch to Intel Mac's are pretty much just glorified, locked down, unupgradable PC's with a pretty operating system. Thats why i get so frustrated when people are conned in to thinking that Apple has better hardware. It's nice hardware, but nothing you can't find elsewhere.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Vampires are also allergic to bulldozers BerticusPryme's Avatar

This is all so true on so many accounts people. I own 2 macs myself in the mass of computers in my home. I use the g3 desktop for a glorified mp3 player and the g3 laptop for basic things. As for the TPM module thing yeah it sucks. Dell released them a few years back as an option for the optiplex and precision workstation lines. Makes a hell of a time working with them. but int he end if you wanna run mac os get a mac. IF you want to do everything else other than basic stuffs get a pc. I love my mac's but not as much as I love my pc.

lolz why in gods name would u want to run something like that? has it not dawned upon u that mac suck big chubby ones?
    i will never agree with windows..... but going over to mac osx? kinda sacreligeous in my opinion ( i think i spelled it wrong)
    lolz there is a ****load of different ways u could do it if ya want.... but i cant see why :S
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.