View Poll Results: 10/100 or Gigabit for music?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10/100

19 65.52%
  • Gigabit

10 34.48%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10/100 question/poll

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default 10/100 question/poll

I need help from the consensus--is 10/100 good enough for music, or should I just bite the damn bullet, put up a few auctions on Ebay and jump up to gigabit?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Default Re: 10/100 question/poll

If you've got the extra money, why not upgrade to gigabit? Having said that though.. I've had no problems streaming music or DVD images across my 100 meg network.

Think of it like this... avg mp3 is 128kbit, and you can stream that from the internet on your 1.5mb dsl connection with no problem. You could almost play that on an ISDN connection!

Even if your audio collection was all lossless audio, you could handle several streams simultaneously with 10mbit.

I use 100mbit in my home to stream videos and audio (at the same time) to multiple places, and have no troubles with dropout or quality. I can even play WoW or surf at the same time.

Gigabit is nice for moving large files around between PC's, but hasnt been necessary yet for streaming.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Custom Title Honors

in short time, gigabit will be the new 10/100. I would just go with the gigabit. Personal preference I guess. Go Me! 1 vote. lol

not to sound like a newb but is this about service providers or routers and such?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Routers and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Water Cooled

I think the answer to this question depends on where you are streaming from. If you are streaming from the internet, I think you will be far more limited by your ISP bandwith than even the 100MBps. If, however, you were connecting to another PC on your local network, then the gigabit would make a greater difference because you would have greater bandwidth directly between the two computers.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I think the answer to this question depends on where you are streaming from. If you are streaming from the internet, I think you will be far more limited by your ISP bandwith than even the 100MBps. If, however, you were connecting to another PC on your local network, then the gigabit would make a greater difference because you would have greater bandwidth directly between the two computers.
    Not true for the reasons stated above. Gigabit Internet is useful for moving VERY large volumes of data between machines on a network. 100Mb/s ethernet is enough for the streaming needs of a moderately sized village and more than enough for most homes.

In short, more is only more when you actually use it. Unless your internet bandwidth exceeds 10Mb/s 10Mb/s ethernet will be fine (if you arent regularly moving large amounts of data round your network). Unless your internet bandwidth exceeds 100Mb/s 100Mb/s will be fine.

Anyone got incoming bandwidth of more than 100Mb/s??? Come on ... raise your hand .... and clear out your spare bedroom I'm coming over

Custom Title Honors

I do agree with Crazy, but if you are buying new and can spot the few extra bucks. Why not get the gigabit? Eventually it will be used on a regular basis. And for your "more then 100Mb/s. Here you go. That gigabit router and pc will slow you down!