Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: The Orb

Default Re: The Orb

yes it was you, i used the same idea but i attached the plexitube to my drillpress

Me found it too: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...2&postcount=15
    Simple but effective idea One more +Rep for you Brinkz0r.

And hey p0pe: Thanks for your "faith" in my GF-cutting skills -Rep Just kidding!

I have to write an exam tomorrow and one more on March, 13th. Perhaps I manage to post a little update during a learning break...

Whish me luck,
    Squelsh
    My CaseCons:

-=| The Orb |=- - - -=| CUBE 2 |=- - - -=| Reactor |=-

blow them away gl hf;P
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Updates?
    - Computer-Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Computer-Geek View Post
    Updates?
    There you go!

I have to admit: I did it again... Another version of the backplate. Had to make a new one after I noticed I drilled two holes much too big But this time it's perfect. I also cut the holes for the fan:

My modding-time was short, so I only had time for a quick change on my DVD. Removed the LED and soldered on an external connector for LED and Eject button. This will be triggered by the controller board only when the visor is open.

BTW: I found the next modding target It's the packaging of an old Motorola mobile phone. The cage is made of aluminium and it already has a nice window. That would be perfect for an external DVD where you could watch the disk spinning...

My only problem: I don't need an external DVD Rom. What I have lying around are three 250GB harddrives. So I think I will make an external USB drive case for two drives from this, with a switch, so one can toggle the active drive.
    I hope I can do this by simply switching the power of the IDE drives and connect both (master-)drives to a simple IDE2USB converter...
    My CaseCons:

Damn! I almost forgot the video I took of my work on the backplate...
    So, here it is: What you see is an ordinary drillbit for big holes and the drill press on top speed. Cuts through smooth like butter.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-09-2008 at 12:41 PM.
    My CaseCons:

Not a single comment on that nice Motorola box?!
    Perhaps on this update: I started building a Power / Reset switch wich will be placed inside the right foot on the same height as the fingerprint reader in the left foot.

First piece is an axis with one flatend side:

The axis and two tiny spacers are glued on the actual switchplate which has the form of an 8. One big circle for Power and the smaller one for Reset. The spacers will push on the switches.

These are two microswitches on a plastic sheet. The bump between the switches will be the support for the axis. I will add the another sheet on top later.

If everything works the way I suppose it to, the springs in the microswitches will hold the plate leveled.

This piece will be the enclosure of the switch-plate.

This stuff is still in beta-stadium but I hope it will look nice when polished and illuminated (:
    My CaseCons:

like the motorola box... just couldnt see why you wanted it inthere (didnt read the whole thing sry) but DAMN that switch could look cool keep it going dood!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Thank you p0Pe! The switch still needs a lot more sanding but it's now out of beta stadium and got a "proof of concept"

The black foil will of course be replaced by an exact cutout of the symbols!

The weather today was quite nice here in Germany, so I added the last coat of paint to the backplate:

Don't ask, how I did that special fx... I simply sprayed on the black paint and it crystalized imidiately. The effect looked nice to me, so I added a clear coat and finished the third try of the backplate finally...

I also modded the Orbs base. As the MoBo moved backwards about 6mm because of the GeForce, I had to fill the gap in the MoBo pit. For that I cut out a stripe of plastic and used it as a form for some filler (so the green stuff will be removed):

And from the "bits and pieces" section: The mounting pieces for my self made fan:

Watch out for the next update. Hopefully with some more impressive pics of the whole project and not only of some small parts

See you soon,
    Squelsh
    My CaseCons:

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Looking good Sorry for the last reply.
    - Computer-Geek