Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orb

Default Re: The Orb

Some more pics, but nothing spectacular:

Here I am using the drilling machine as a mill to get an 45deg angle at the foot's edges:

The edges are only sanded roughly for a milky texture and the top and bottom are covered with sticky aluminium foil as a mirror.

Then one LED with a flattened head is placed in a hole in the center:

The result is better than I expected

The other thing I could build today is a switch that checks if the visor is closed. This switch is going to be used to control the motor.
    The brown thing is the micro switch (only some mm in lenght). I placed it next to the hinge:

Then I bended a verry thin copper stripe (and ramed it into my finger) that is used as a spring to press the switch.

Here it is mounted over the switch:

Only one thing to add:

This little piece is glued onto the visor-hinge and presses the spring, when the visor is completely closed.

I tried to make a picture of the whole mechanism but it's not visible from the outside, so you have to believe me, that it works

Thats all for today.
    My CaseCons:

-=| The Orb |=- - - -=| CUBE 2 |=- - - -=| Reactor |=-

Today I continued work on the foot. With the mill I carved my logo into the side, about 3mm deep. This space will be painted red (rest of the foot will be black) and an illuminated piece of plexi will be fitted into.

Besides that, I cut another hole into the lower hemisphere. It will host a small control panel with some buttons:

I first tried with a dremel but the material melted too fast. So I only did the first cm and then continued with a handsaw. This is the piece I cut out. On the lower corners I drilled holes and sicked 2 axles into them:

This axles can rotate in two slits and are held in place by two copper pieces:

The bended piece:

Here is the flap opened:

And this is how it's gonna look:

I have to find the right buttons and make two more plasic pieces for the sides and of course some kind of motorization to open and close the control panel.
    If I can, I want to use an optical sensor inside the flap to sense when a hand is getting nearby (like in the hand dryers that switch on, when you put your hand beneath).
    Anyone ever played with those kind of sensors? I'd love to get some hints on how to use them...
    Last edited by |NQ|Squelsh; 11-28-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
    My CaseCons:

Dude this is going awesome. Good job man, I knew this would come out great. This is seriously one of the coolest case designs i have seen in a long while. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to more progress.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Here comes a quick update on the front panel and the foot.

This is the panel, quickly taped together:

Yesterday I found a good way to move the flap with a verry old servo-motor:

Two vids of the opening and closing. The stops in the motion are my fault because I switched the motor only in small intervalls.
    From outside:

From the inside:

My USB-Cabeling arrived yesterday and I bought some 3mm red LEDs for the feet.

Here is the stuff built in:
    Outline of the USB-Connector on one of the foot parts:

I carved out this outline so that half of the connector fits in, then repeated the process on the other wooden part.

Now I can put the parts together again and the USB-Connector is inbetween.

I also continued with my illuminated logo on the outside of the foot:
    Here is the cabeling of two LEDs inside

And the effect with plexiglas on the outside:

And, to give you an impression of the whole thing:

This is the lower body. One final foot and the prototype foot together with the lower hemisphere

Today I try to add some sensor-switches to the front panel and perhaps continue with the inside of the upper sphere. See you soon!
    My CaseCons:

ATX Mental Case

Gr8!
    <------------------- look left <---------- left u idiot

Thank you Psychowit!

Sorry for the long time without updates. I had lots of businesswork to do and I spent far too much time searching illuminated switches for the front panel... I still can't believe that such lousy switches cost 8 Euros (and I dont speak of those stainless steel wonders) So finally I bought four normal push-button-like switches and LED reflectors (which were still much to expensive ) at a local store:

On the right you can see a micro-switch that will be used for the motorization of the panel.

But now to the work I managed to:
    - Foot:
    I could not watch the ugly pressboard anymore so I painted the foot with primer.

- Logo:
    Also the logo wasnt satifying. It's made of plexiglas and is illuminated by red LED. But when the light is off, the milky white plexi doesn't fit into Orbs red and black colour scheme. So I spray-painted one side of the logo in red.

Unfortunatly I mixed up the sides and painted the front of one of the pieces... But that doesn't matter because I can use the piece on the mirrored left foot
    Now the logo is red, with and without light:

- Switchpanel:
    So, here is my panel. Nothing special. Four switches with four LEDs.

I still need the approximation switch that will trigger the opening and closing... Any ideas what to buy?

- Backpanel + inner casing:
    I don't have photos yet but I started work on the backside and the inner parts of the upper hemisphere.

- Preview:
    And finally two more pics of the whole thing. I added one hose to the visor and I think I will have to add some enforcement to make it more eye-catching. Perhaps I also add some kind of mounting so the hinge doesn't has to carry all the weight.

Well, thats all. I hope I can work some more on the weekend.
    My CaseCons:

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

That looks awesome dude. This mod is coming along very nicely. Keep up the good work.

Hey TBCS,
    it's time for an update
    I made a lot of progress on many parts in the past two days. So here are some pics (unfortunately only mobilephone-pics).

- Switchpanel:
    First a pic of the switches and LEDs in place

And the panel mounted in the sphere:

Then with a top layer to add some stiffness:

Filed bondo:

Final result with four more LEDs in the shortened top-layer to illuminate the buttons:

I think the result is quite ok I will shoot better pics with a cam the next days.

- Feet:
    I needed some pieces of a sphere so I cut Orbs "desktop" foot in form. Thats what came out:

While dremeling the shape I got this funny stuff:

I also started with filler on the regular foot:

The pics of the upper shpere will come in some minutes in another post...
    My CaseCons:

Now to the upper hemisphere:
    I had the problem that the visor lost its circular form while glueing the layers. Because of the oval visor the upper hemisphere did not fit to the perfect round lower hemisphere.
    In this pic you see the ugly gap between the two hemispheres:

I thought about that problem a long time and the only solution that came to my mind was this:

With the hemisphere cut in half I could now fit it to a better form by adding a new gap on the top :

But this new gap can be closed in a more elegant way with a piece of th plexiglas sphere that will be illuminated later:

Here are some detail pics of the pices that close the gap. I will explain my plans for that later.

And my verry special way to glue the pieces toghether:
    Believe me, it's not easy to glue round pieces
    I hope this connection is stable enough. I will find that out tomorrow when the glue is hard.

See you soon!
    My CaseCons:

haha .. got myself a got laugh beacuse of that glue thing +rep for it and hope it holds! xD

nice work on everything else^^ cant wait to se the thing with fluid in it !
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]