Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A good use for old Cat5!

Default Re: A good use for old Cat5!

Quote Originally Posted by nailz View Post
    Hm.. and maybe this would've destroyed me, but I was under the impression that after stripping the 4 wires (stripes), you'd then twist up all of the exposed wiring together, and then solder that, and then follow suit the same way with the solids? Is this incorrect?
    Yes, thats correct. If we are talking RCA's still though, I would still suggest trying the single strand first, as its much easier, and I felt sounded much nicer, with a bit more mid-low punch than the 4 pairs. I can post a pic if you want to clarify.

Sorry for all the questions
    Dont be sorry at all! Clarity is important!

I'll attempt the single pair idea based on your mini jack talk through earlier in this post, and just modify it like you suggest for RCA, that may indeed be easier. hmmmm... this should be interesting.
    Are you referring to the my miniplug - rca splitter that I made for PC to stereo? I found that I was losing quite a bit of signal due to the higher resistance/capacitance of all the extra wire in that device (I think there were 16 twisted pairs total braided in that cable).

Let me find some pics to help explain.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I should clarify something else also:

- I refer to a piece of cat5 as a "strand"
    - I refer to the wire inside of the cat5 as "twisted pairs", and there are 4 "twisted pairs" in each "strand" of cat5.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Noobsauce

yah, I understand Cat5 and all that jazz, I'm just an odd case of computer nerd and not electronics oriented at all.

So what I'm going to basically do is take TP of Brown/Brown White cables, and TP of Green/Green White cables, and connect the B/BW combo to the center audio jack on either end, and make the G/GW pair a ground, connected to the metal near the wire clamp. I will repeat this on both ends of 1 RCA, then repeat for the other channel.

Pics would be amazing though. I am indeed trying the less cable approach ...

Thanks for all the help luke!

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

I'm going to give this a shot for the subwoofers in my car....the amp wiring kit that I bought came with some cheas@ss speaker wire...maybe this will help.
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

Noobsauce

So I just finished my first pair (lol, procrastination). Hopefully it doesn't blow anything up at home.

I'm just uploading a pic to my photobucket account right now.. I'll post one in a few mins.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Even easier than you thought!

Using the twisted pair method, you would use one tp for the left channel, and one for the right channel. Yes, that's honestly all the wire you need.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by dfigravity View Post
    I'm going to give this a shot for the subwoofers in my car....the amp wiring kit that I bought came with some cheas@ss speaker wire...maybe this will help.
    I dont think you'll see any benefit for a subwoofer, in fact this might even have the opposite effect in a low freq, high power application.

I would say for subs, go with regular 10-12awg speaker wire. For your front speakers however, you might get some benefit from it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

hey there :]

*pokes really dead thread that is still awesome*

I read this back during the summer and didn't think much about it, but now I need some clarification on this. I'm in the market for new speakers and I've settled on the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1: http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...media-2-1.aspx

First off, is that a decent speaker set for the price? I'd like a sub with the set, around $100-120 price range, good quality. Read a bunch of reviews everywhere, most people agree it's pretty good.

The one problem that people report is poor wiring, so I recalled this thread and searched for it. One of your previous posts stated that it could handle 100+ amps with this method so I think it should be fine for my system, but I just wanted an opinion on it. Do you think it'd help the sound quality if I'm running this from my computer, or is this only useful for people using amps and such.

I'm gonna admit I'm a big fan of high quality sounds, though currently a very uneducated audiophile so I'm asking for help.

Thanks for any input anyone might give.

Let me check into that speaker combo for you, I'll post a reply ASAP.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/