7 41.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEDSvsC.C.NEONS

Default LEDSvsC.C.NEONS

Whats better?
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

LED's if ya get the right ones are brighter, take less power, are physically smaller so more can be placed strategically. They are safer.

Cathods and readily available, usually plug and play, are usually large at 12" but also available in 4 and 6" sizes.

Water Cooled

I agree. Led's can be very bright if you have a couple, and you can place them wherever you need them instead of a bigger tube. Also if you read this you might concider LEDs for safety reasons as well. That comp looks like it burned for a couple minutes and there are debates if it actually happened. I think it is very possible, there are thousands of volts within a cathode supplied by the inverter.... and that can cause some serious trouble. Well anyways, my vote is on LEDs, but cathodes might fit different designs better. If you use cathodes always put them far away from valuable parts, in the top of the case, behind the mobo tray or in an empty drivebay.

Thanx frakk thats what I meant when I said LEDs are safer, I could not find the link to that article at the time of my post.

Yes neons are dangers. You can crack them then you have to deal with gas and glass. I think we all have been shock by are neons lol. And yes the B.B.Q
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Water Cooled

its not the cathodes that blow up. only reason they would blow is huge pressures, but I dont think there is any in them, just filled with gas and couple thousand volts(and almost insignificant amounts of current and thatswhy they are not dangerous). its the inverters that are dangerous because you have fairly big currents with 12V plus you have the inverted high voltages. I dont see this often, actually I've seen only 2 or 3 sofar that actually caught on fire. They usually just stop working. These people blowing up on them might have modded them or did something to make them blow up. Theres no need to be worried, just take the precautions and put the inverters in a safe place and turn them off when you dont need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk
    its not the cathodes that blow up.
    We and me didn't say thay would but the gas thats inside one of them is not to good for you.............

Water Cooled

if they dont blow up then y do you care whats inside? they are not poisonous and even if they were, there wouldnt be enough gas (of any kind) in the tubes that could harm you in an average size room.

ATX Mental Case

are there other uv lighting options other than cold cathode though?

Yes LEDs can be had in UV. However by their nature they are not that bright, you'd need a few, I dont think I've seen superbright UV LEDs, I would get 3 times as many as you really need\want to give off the same amount of rays.