Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone help me with this electronic light switch?!

Default Re: Can someone help me with this electronic light switch?!

The original diagram does not work because the ground is not universal. The transistor will not allow current to go backwards so it would be ok to connect the ground from the battery to the ground on the parallel port. At this point, the ground would be universal and would be a closer step to working. The other thing I'm curious about is the solenoid itself... it is a 9 volt solenoid, right?
    Hope this helps,
    Agnat

ATX Mental Case

I'm not actually sure if they are nine volts, since I got them from an old machine. They seem to work with nine volts though. Does it matter? Sorry, I'm a pretty big noob with this stuff.

D'Oh

Default Hope this helps

Thank you for your patience.. I had to do some data transfers before I got my programs fully working... But this should help you..

Before you look at these, a warning: I didn't have the exact transistor in the database, but I was close so I hope it doesn't matter.. The solenoid has a rated current for which it works and a current at which it starts to fail.. Hopefully, the values I tweaked are small enough so that the coil works .. and no smoke comes later

So, the schematic: (agnat was very right here!)

And a quick simulation just so you know what would happen and check if you can take this much current..

good luck
    Last edited by dgrmkrp; 07-23-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: quirks..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

ATX Mental Case

Wow, thanks a lot! I really appreciate that Just one question though, is all I need to obtain now two 100 ohm resistors? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the schematic correctly :p

D'Oh

well.. hopefully, yes.. if it still don't work right, lose the resistor on the solenoid side.. and if that still don't work.. eek.. I have much to learn

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|