Thread: 1st build help

Default 1st build help

Hey guys. This is my first post to your forums! I am doing my first build. I placed most of my order last night. Heres what I'm putting together...

From Newegg.com...

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5

PSU: Hiper Type R 580W

CPU Fan: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro

Speakers: Logitech X-230

Also: Arctic Silver Thermal Paste Remover and Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste

From Zipzoomfly.com...

MOBO: Asus P5B Deluxe

CPU: Intel E6600

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 250GB

Optical: Samsung DVDRW

Mouse: Logitech G5

Keyboard: Logitech G11

From Mwave.com...

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB kit) (with $30.00 MIR!)

From californiacomputer.com...

Monitor: Viewsonic 22" Widescreen LCD

From bestbuy.com...

GPU: BFG Tech 8800GTS 320MB

*Total so far with shipping: $1737.32 (without MIR's)

I have a few questions for you guys...

I want to make some changes to the case but I'm not sure what I need to order.

1. I would like to change the fans. I want to do UV Blue, but I want them to be quality fans...not too noisy. Any suggestions?

2. Also, I want to light the case up a bit. Also UV Blue. What are some good lights?

3. I want to change the cables...you guessed it...UV Blue. For this setup what cables would I need to order, how many, and what lengths would work?

Last - What tools do you guys recommend (and where is the best place to get them) to do this build? I thought I might need more than just a big hammer...

...I figured these would be some easy questions for some hardcore modders like yourselves.

ANY other suggestions would really be appreciated!

Default Re: 1st build help

Welcome nickjj92078.

That's quite a nice set up

Question 3: Hammer is a good tool to start with
    Depending on your mods, dremel can be usefull, drill, holesaw, solder iron.. As I said, depending on what you want to do, you'll need different tools. Make a seach in the forum, we have plenty of guide, tutorials to help you make you choice

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

as for your UV blue: your lighting optios are really just cold cathode tubes for a general glow or LEDs for lighting smaller areas.
    With the cables it's probably easiest to sleeve them with split loom or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Thanks for the suggestions!

welcome to tbcs hope a got the time to spend here cause its going to be alot!

1. here is a link to some 120mm uv fans. i've never used any of those but this is the one fan i'm going with once i place an order at that site. its blue led, has a built in speed controller and has a Aluminum body.

2. here are some 12" cold cathodes to select from. since i'm also going for a blue theme (well black and blue) here is my current first time build gaming rig thusfar.

there is 2 sets of Dual 12" blue CCFL's.

3. slytherock pretty much summed it up. so far on my case i've used a dremel, screw drivers, drills, drill press, soldering iron, knife, file, sand paper, etc. lots of stuff. just get what you need as you need it.

good luck and lots of pics!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Fresh Paint

i don't know if i'm too late but instead of getting a 8800 try one of the ATi 2900XT's I've heard they're incredible for the price, just my two cents

also when your modding it make sure you have the basics, if you don't have a dremel a jigsaw does the job with a slight more difficulty and when your cutting perspex go slow or else it'll crack or melt either way its a bitch

-SpArX
    If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it should move and it doesn't, use WD40.

Austral Alien

Get the 8800. Why stuff about with something inferior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by SpArX View Post
    i don't know if i'm too late but instead of getting a 8800 try one of the ATi 2900XT's I've heard they're incredible for the price, just my two cents

also when your modding it make sure you have the basics, if you don't have a dremel a jigsaw does the job with a slight more difficulty and when your cutting perspex go slow or else it'll crack or melt either way its a bitch

-SpArX
    The 8800GTS 320Mb card competes, and sometimes surpasses the 2900XT in most games. The 2900XT is definitely not worth the money right now. For $450 you can get a card that can be outperformed by a card costing $100 less.

8800 is the way to go. After seeing ATI flop with this new-gen set of cards, I probably won't be buying ATI again.

Edit: Proof is in the tests. http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by nickjj92078 View Post
    1. I would like to change the fans. I want to do UV Blue, but I want them to be quality fans...not too noisy. Any suggestions?
    Last - What tools do you guys recommend (and where is the best place to get them) to do this build? I thought I might need more than just a big hammer...
    Personally I always start with a hammer

Seriously though ... a couple of threads that might help you:
    Best Fans
    A Question About Case Fans

... and from the end of that last thread ....
    Here is a whole selection of lit fans