Thread: CMStacker Mod

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

Default CMStacker Mod

Okay, I've had this CMStacker 810 for awhile now. So I'm gonna mod it. Alot. First here's what I've done, even tho I'm going to completely start from scratch again. Basically a paint job and a window or two. I took the CMSTACKER logo off the top front, put some plexi in there with some glue behind it to smoke it (didn't know about that whole sanding thing yet *grin*), and put a 4 in CCFL behind it and wired for my PWR LED. Bright as all get out, but still cool to me.
    Lights on

Front with lights on

Lights off

Okay, now here's the idea.

Strip it, move the power supply to the bottom, including the power suppply rack that it comes with, put a radiator on top where that crappy window on top was (bad mod, the etching was with a dremel, first time EVER, crap, but still cool for a first time to me), Res where the power supply rack USED to be, a 120mm fan (I'm thinking Hama's) on the back, 2 on the rad, and a 120 on each of the HDD trays. If you've never seen a CMStackerHDD tray, Here it is.

So, here's a quick Sketchup, check it out, lemme know what ya'll think.

I've seen alot while cruising around the forum. Great things by everyone here. I know this mod may not seem like much, but I prefer it simple and sleek. I have access to a real metal shop (I gotta learn somehow, might as well go to a pro, right?), so the cuts probably won't be done by me, but I'll be right at the guys shoulder, learning every darned thing I can.

I also want to etch the window on the side, as well as the Res. I'm thinking I might make a custom Res out of 1/2" plexi and etch it with something. I'm still thinking of a theme here, I'm your classic computer geek, I do computers and thats about it. So its difficult to come up with a them that I'll like for awhile.
    Last edited by gntlkilr; 07-13-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: updated pic addresses

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: CMStacker Mod

Sounds like a great project, I'm interested to see how you go about swaping the mobo and psu.

-Indybird

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    Sounds like a great project, I'm interested to see how you go about swaping the mobo and psu.

-Indybird
    The mobo will stay the same. I thought about doing the reverse ATX, but I decided against it. I'm just moving the PSU down to the bottom. The 810 already has the back panel built in for a dual PSU setup, so I just need to move the PS tray. the bad part about it, I need to basically chop it and weld it in there. the PSU tray has got a lip for the top of the case, which the bottom doesn't have that place for the lip. No worries. I have a metal shop and a guy willing to teach, (altho that german-english thing is prolly gonna make that difficult, but I'm willing to learn anyhow!) Either way, should be a great mod, or a great time screwing up a case!

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

Ok, went to the local hardware store (boo to the Base Exchange for not having decent colors, white and off-white, boo I say). Picked up a choice. Not 100% positive if I want to go with that charcoal and blue. I love that blue tho. A bit of flaking mixed in with it and it looks great, the camera really doesn't do it justice.

Example: my old dead MS Bluetooth keyboard I matched to the case before.

So here's my conundrum, question, poll, etc.

Red or blue? I love black as a base, or a dark charcoal. But the highlight color is what I'm iffy on. I'll take a pieces of metal and test out the color combos on it and post them, but what do ya'll think?

hmmmmmmm.....

Now, you'll have to excuse the lack of work posted on this, i have a bit of a distraction since the 21st of June. See?

But what do you think would go well on this case? Black and what? Silver, Red, Blue, etc????

A small update

I have the case stripped bare and the PSU tray removed, I just need to measure, remeasure, mark, remeasure, make sure of 1st mark, etc

I should have the PSU tray mounted tomorrow if I'm allowed by the distraction and the wife. We'll see. LOL