Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DeskPooter

Default Re: My First Mod: Computer in a desk

Yeah .. Hammer ....

What is a dremel?? ... no ... no one answer that I know lol (but don't have one)

I am in a bit of a dilemma now: I spent half this week reading other people's Mods and galleries and now my mind-a-spinneth:

The question I am asking myself is whether I want to build the cabinet back into the desk which was the original idea .... or ....

seal the drawer top with plexiglas ... put some nice UV lighting ... and put a smoked glass top on the cabinet ... then put her on casters so I can pull her out from under the desk and have all my visitors say:

"woop woop"

ideas?

Matthew

I think you should try a combination of the approaches. Put the drawer back in the desk but create a plexi cover, lighting inside, ect. Then you can pull the drawer halfway out to show it off.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Well heres. An update. I never put pics of the DeskPooter as she currently stands.

First I want to show you my work area. It used to be called my dining area. The dining table has become an all purpose dump.

On the table you can see some offcuts from the case I cut too death to get the brackets and mountings I wanted for my build.

My camera has a good zoom ! I didn't move to take that lol

Here's the cheapo copy workbench that I worked at and the legendary hammer:

And the rest of the precision equipment I used for the fine machining tasks

Now down to business ...

... but before I can take the pics I need to get rid of this white box. The whole point of deskpooter was that I hate white boxes on the desk. However when you know a little bit about computers people are always turning up saying "mine doesn't work". In this pic you can see the printer, It's only out when I print

Heres my clean desktop and work area:

And finally DeskPooter in situ and in use:

The power button is that thing just above the handle - the old lock! the holes to the left are to start the jigsawcuts for the openings for the optical drives. My neighbour is meant to do these for me but he has gone awol with a woman for three weeks.

"DeskPooter Exposed":

The funny beige thing behind the optical drives is the noctua fans I was going on about in a cooling thread. Sooo quiet

I don't see any of this:

The floppy and the power pack access at the side of the cabinet:

But when I sit at my desk I see a nice view from the window. Thats why the desk is so high and the dining table. I can see nearly twenty miles (not in this pic) lol:

My monitor has a 4 port USB hub in it which cuts on cable hell too I have my bluetooth, webcam, the cable for the camera these pics were taken on and the receiver for the wireless keyboard and mouse:

This guy usually sits watching me. I'm not sure what he's after.

So thats it at the moment. Still bits to finish. I have decided I am putting her on casters and putting smoked glass on the top with some neon going on in there too.

ATX Mental Case

the only good use for a Deskpooter:

burglar breaks into apartment

"i wonder if there are any valuables in this desk"

opens desk

"WTF! y is there a computer in a desk! am i going crazy! GOD! Y are u doing this to me"

runs to polic station and turns himself in

with a deskpooter you don't even have to lock your door
    OPP Transformers Case / Dangerously 1337 / Hell's Regect

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

lol. the entire desk-puter idea is a work of genius, i just wish there were more of them out there

only thing left is for iKEa to start mass producing them, lol
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

Ha I love this thing. Good work +rep. Gives me a few ideas for my deskcomputer that I plan on starting this winter. I'm building the desk from scratch though. Already got the plans for it done as well as all the material ($1700 in materials. That is just wood, laminate and what not )
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

wow. a $1700 desk?!?!? thats more than what my computer was ever worth

that definetly deserves a work log
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto241 View Post
    wow. a $1700 desk?!?!? thats more than what my computer was ever worth

that definetly deserves a work log
    Don't worry it will have one when I start it.

Just a question, what monitor is that CB? The one thing I wish my monitor had was USB ports on it.
    Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies N' Milk View Post
    Don't worry it will have one when I start it.

Just a question, what monitor is that CB? The one thing I wish my monitor had was USB ports on it.
    $1,700 of wood WOW I said Deskpooter not HousePooter

Cookies - It's a Dell 2007FP in this case 20". Good response times. Good colour. Excellent wide viewing angle. Yes and a four port hub. It also has DVI, DSUB, S-Video and Composite inputs so when I am working on a machine for someone else I can hook it up to the same monitor throgh the DSUB and still keep a clean desk. Plus you can run your DVD player into it raw etc etc etc.

Dell have a whole line of monitors with them in. If 19" is good the 1905FP is an excellent monitor if you can find one boxed or 2nd little used. I spent a year trying to find one before I stumbled on this boxed, unused 2007FP for $300 at a fair two months ago.

Oh I see Dell go one better now: "integrated USB ports (4) and 9-in-2 media card reader also allow the monitor to act as a media extension for your PC".

Thats off their US site on a 30" widescreen monitor $1,274 or they got a nice deal on a 24" with USB hub and card reader $579 on offer.

Edit: And when buying Dell monitors look for the difference here:

^^^^ That one is the 1905FP and has the "D" shaped base on the stand. These stands are very robust and hold the monitor well. The replacement 1907FP pictured below VVVV has a cheaper "V" shaped base on the stand that is not up to the job but saved Dell a few $$ in manufacturing overhead. So if you end up with a "V" stand do yourself a favour and spend $25 on ebay picking up and older "D" stand before you watch a several hundred dollar monitor fall off your desk.

Ty 4 the rep guys

CrazyB
    Last edited by Crazy Buddhist; 08-04-2007 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Additional information

Default Re: DeskPooter

interesting....how is it cooling for you??