Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upside-down Heatpipes

Case Wizard

Default Re: Upside-down Heatpipes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    The answer to your question is no it doesn't matter which direction. heat pipe use wicking or pressure differential to move the liquid it has nothing to do with gravity. One end gets hot and causes a high pressure zone, the other is cool and causes a low pressure zone. the liquid travels to the low pressure zone regardless of the orientation of the pipe. In heat pipes that use wicking the liquid travels via capilary action in which orientaion isn't a factor either.
    According to my link earlier to an article about heatpipes (How does a heat pipe work? Heat pipes explained), you are right. But there are different wicking materials and some are better than others at overcoming gravity.

Awesome, that's great! +rep to both of you.
    RIP Bucko

Case Wizard

So I guess you would either have to ask the motherboard manufacturer what heat pipes they used or to cut them up and look for yourself... Unless they did some testing and just tell you that they work in upside down configurations because that might be the best answer you get.

i have the same question. i bought this mobo & cpu combo and it seems that since only one end of the heat pipe has fins then that is the end of the pipe that needs to be higher. the liquid in the heat pipe boils and moves upward so the heat can be dissipated by the fins. well... if there ain't no fins at the top then the heat has no where to go, right?

i really want to get one of those cases that has the power supply mounted in the bottom of the case, but all the ones i can find have the mobo reversed. i have an older Lian Li case that i may just mod (tho i hate to cut up a 250 dollar case).

anyway... i know this is an old thread, but i appreciate the info nonetheless. i suppose i could just go with water cooled, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Bramage
    anyway... i know this is an old thread, but i appreciate the info nonetheless. i suppose i could just go with water cooled, right?
    Yes, yes it is old.

And yes, yes you could watercool . I did (well, I am).
    RIP Bucko