Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upside-down Heatpipes

Default Upside-down Heatpipes

Well, I've heard some conflicting views on this. Can motherboard heatpipes be used upside-down? On a Newegg review for a Lian-Li case I'm hoping to get, someone said they can't. Then Google told me they could. I really don't want to waste my money on a case I won't be able to use, so a definitive answer would be awesome.
    RIP Bucko

Anodized

Default Re: Upside-down Heatpipes

No, the ones you get on motherboards can't. However, i know you get some other really high end heatpipes that work irrespective of their orientation, but you dont get those on motherboards.

Overclocked

i recommend wiki-ing this. but my view is, they can be used in any direction as long as they are not horizontal. At horizontal they are at 0% efficiency to dissipate heat, but when they are vertical, The efficiency is at the maximum operating range.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    i recommend wiki-ing this. but my view is, they can be used in any direction as long as they are not horizontal. At horizontal they are at 0% efficiency to dissipate heat, but when they are vertical, The efficiency is at the maximum operating range.
    That's what I read... Hmmm

Maybe when I get the money, I'll buy the case and hope for the best. And then _I_ can give myself and all of you a definitive answer.
    RIP Bucko

Case Wizard

I found this article that might help to not only explain a few things but also to differentiate different heatpipes. It is too broad to ask whether a heatpipe works in a particular direction or not.
    http://www.ocmodshop.com/news/templa...3038&zoneid=21

well if you are going with a 680i board like the evga one i wouldn't fliip it upside down. if it works in reverse i would think it out pump the heat to the part with no fins. i was going to post a picture but its too big so here is a link to the board i'm talking about, i'm not sure how other boards would be upside down.

http://www.overclockers.co.nz/ocnz/2...i/overview.jpg
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I do have an EVGA 680i SLI board. I don't really know what you mean, because the included fan sucks air up into the heatsink.

And thanks Coyote, I haven't read the article yet but I'll take a look.
    RIP Bucko

the mcp heatsink has no fins or any real way of dissipating heat aside from the two cuts in it making a little bit more surface area. its main way of dissipating the heat is via the heatpipe. the liquid in the heatpipe will boil off as it gets hot then go to the top where the fins and fan, if you have it on, are. if the board is upside down then wouldn't the heat then be sent to the upper heatsink? i hope that explains it better. i'm not 100% sure about that but if thats how it works then to me it would only make sense it would send the heat to the mcp heatsink instead of the spp one.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

ATX Mental Case

The answer to your question is no it doesn't matter which direction. heat pipe use wicking or pressure differential to move the liquid it has nothing to do with gravity. One end gets hot and causes a high pressure zone, the other is cool and causes a low pressure zone. the liquid travels to the low pressure zone regardless of the orientation of the pipe. In heat pipes that use wicking the liquid travels via capilary action in which orientaion isn't a factor either.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    look at the striker extreme all the heat pipes are horizontal.