Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi FPS

Default Sci-Fi FPS

I recently started playing my games again. And it made me remember how much I loved HL2. And FPSs in general. So I started looking around at some other games, and I don't know what I want. I really need some recommendations, because a lot of you are more avid gamers than I am. What I've been looking at:

STALKER
    Quake 4
    FEAR
    Prey
    SiN Episodes: Emergence

I need more suggestions. I don't know what to get. What I'm looking for in a game: Good graphics, smart AI, not too short, decent physics, good storyline, multiplayer (maybe), and not Vista only. Yeah, I know, that points me straight back to HL2, but I've beaten it before, and I can only play it so many times before I need a break. So, what do you guys recommend?
    RIP Bucko

Default Re: Sci-Fi FPS

well those first 3 are really good, doom 3 was also good. now as for more games... i'm not to sure right now i will go look and see what i like.

Crysis, my god that looks freaking sick! i'm deffently going to have to get that.

while its not a FPS (its a third person view) it looks pretty good.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Unreal Tournament!!!

If you are into war games you may like ARMA, it's like a FPS conquest game. I didn't like it too much, but I have heard alot of others rave about it.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I have Doom 3 and UT (and both are great). I've looked at ARMA, but it got a pretty bad review from PC Gamer (in the 60% range I think) so I'll be passing on that for now.

Out of the first 3 Spawn, which is the best?

Oh, and I'm already planning on upgrading my video card for Crysis. I will buy that the day it comes out.
    RIP Bucko

well if you want scary (like things jumping out at you or just an eerie feel) then go for Fear or Quake 4. fear has more of an eerie feel what with that little girl and all. quake 4 has the thing jumping out at you and when things run at you its freaky sometimes. Stalker is more of a shooting and missions tpye of game. make sure you get the latest patch for stalker before you try playing (if you don't you older game saves don't work with the new patch) it to much. if you like guns then stalker is the way to go. of all the games i haven't finished any or even gotten halfway becuase i get board very fast and was also play ps2 or wii. i've put off finishing them until i get my gaming rig.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    well if you want scary (like things jumping out at you or just an eerie feel) then go for Fear or Quake 4. fear has more of an eerie feel what with that little girl and all. quake 4 has the thing jumping out at you and when things run at you its freaky sometimes. Stalker is more of a shooting and missions tpye of game. make sure you get the latest patch for stalker before you try playing (if you don't you older game saves don't work with the new patch) it to much. if you like guns then stalker is the way to go. of all the games i haven't finished any or even gotten halfway becuase i get board very fast and was also play ps2 or wii. i've put off finishing them until i get my gaming rig.
    Great man, thanks for the tips! I'm still a little undecided about what game, so I guess I'll have to look at some screenshots and read some reviews until I decide which one. +rep to you though.
    RIP Bucko

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

Prey bored the hell out of me after a while, dont know what it was about it, it just got so tedious, i couldnt bring myself to finish it.

The others are all decent choices (havent played Sin though, so i cant comment on that)
    I was really impressed with FEAR when i played it though, great AI, great graphics, great gameplay, cant go wrong with it for the FPS addict really!
    What i have played of stalker is pretty awesome too.

w00t i LOVE prey, this game was sooo cool, wayyyyyyyyyy better than doom 3 great grafix cool weapons (bugs as granades) storyline hm.. quiete cool blood gore n stuff, quite disgusting but theme maching, yes i was sad when it was done bw stalker is soooo a kelwish game, i play it with a SAWM mod, realistic weapons more enviroment sounds and waayyy more scaryer i think, quake 4 um.. i hate it, i played it completly through (american uncut version) it was soo disgusting, seeing your legs sawed, get a piece of metal between the eyes, gore endless and story, senseless.. i played it but i was happy that i brought it to an end, but i have to say i dont like doom 3 either... if you want PURE fun try serious sam II its older but its soo funny

That's classified.

Halo, of course.
    I've never been a fan of humans vs. humans war games and this was exactly the kind of game I was looking for.
    It has a very good storyline. If you do get it, I suggest reading the books too; they aren't necessary, but they will make you love the story even more.

If you're still not convinced, I suggest you watch the preview for Halo 3 from E3 2006. (Quicktime file) (Here's a screenshot from the preview too.)