Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Water cooling explained.

Default Re: Water cooling explained.

condensor is to small, i don't see it cooling much more then a dual core.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    condensor is to small, i don't see it cooling much more then a dual core.
    Your sight is mistaken .. need new glasses perhaps ....

It's for socket 775 and socket 1366 ... are there any 1366 dual cores?

And here is is cooling a i7 965 Extreme O/C @ 4.15 Ghz .... CPU Temp 34 degrees after running Orthos for more than 5 hours stable.

So ... it can cool a **** load more than a dual core. It's funny the way people invested in a particular technology will dis anything that competes with it whilst not doing the research. Also blocks are due out for ATI cards and Nvidia will follow. Presently it does the CPU alone.

Tom's Hardware had this to say:

Xpressar RCS100 is capable of lowering CPU temperatures by roughly 20 degrees more than liquid cooling solutions. A difference of 20 degrees not only prolongs the life of your processor, which is not a very big concern it seems with the rate at which new products fly to the shelves these days. However, this difference means higher and/or more stable over-clocking in a near ready to run package. Thermaltake spent a great deal of time researching and testing the RCS100 (four years to be exact) before releasing it to ensure rock solid stability and reliability. Something that Thermaltake is well known for.

Full review (also with an i7 965 Extreme) here

Conclusion

The Xpressar Mico-Refrigeration unit simply blows all other cooling solutions out of the water.
    There are some downsides. GPU installation can be tricky .. and if you run it at 100% load 24/7 it's noisy-ish and may die after a year. Thermaltake say the product is aimed at light overclockers who want a super-quiet system. That it does very well .. dual core or quad.

CrazyB

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Personally I wouldn't spend the money because it looks like crap lol. I would rather spend the cash on the OCZ phase unit, that was only around $500AUD.

But honestly if it wasn't Thermaltake I might consider it. If a unit like that was incorporated into a Silverstone or a Lian Li case it would be much more appealing. Then again something like this is only for the extreme overclockers, my $350AUD water loop does a fantastic job at cooling my Q6600 and 8800GTX plus it is much easier to modify for future tech.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Main point is ... it doesn't turn out to be a "mad scientist" idea at all - but one that is already retail ready and available following four years of research and design - and it "blows all other cooling solutions out of the water".

They are developing a drive bay version.

I agree with you on the case. If I were a rich man ... (lol) ... I'd buy the compresssor and put it in something nicer looking.

CrazyB

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I don't trust Thermaltake either. I also agree that that case is horrifically ugly. But, it seems to work and I think TT has probably raised the bar for this unit so there normal sub-standard quality shouldn't be a problem.

How does the Phase units compare to this thing? I'd be interesting to see which performs better.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I've seen phase change units that boot the PC at minus 20-30C and operate well under 0C...but you get what you pay for. The units I looked at were probably twice the price of this TT RCS100 but they were largely custom. $1500US is a lot to pay just for cooling your PC, but if you can't figure out what to spend all your money on, then why not?

If you want to have a cooling system that won't completely break your bank, is nearly silent, and dumps 90% of the computers' heat outside the case then water cooling is the way to go. I have about $400 invested in my WC loop and it keeps my Q6600 and old HD2900 XT in the mid 40s (Celsius, both are OC'd). The rad fans are just about silent, the only noise my PC makes are 2 quiet 120mm case fans and some old HDD clicks.
    [While I was typing this, UPS just dropped off my new Caviar Black. HDD clicks can be scratched off the list.]

The only way air cooling is better than water cooling is price and damage risk. Air will never leak onto your $400-500 graphics card and make neat test patterns your new permanent desktop background. But, if you assemble the loop how it was intended and don't take stupid shortcuts, water cooling risks are quite minimal and the performance is excellent.

Nice guide, especially if you continue to add to it over time.

A decent Phase unit tops off at -80c/-100c .

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    A decent Phase unit tops off at -80c/-100c .
    or get some triple cascade action going for -180C ish i think**
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Yeah triple cascades can hit -200c.

LOL @ -200C! WTF is the point of going that low?