Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dead dremel

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: dead dremel

Even cheaper on Amazon!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I've had a 5-speed Craftsman "Dremel" for about two years, light to medium use (cutting steel for ArgDawn. I think the longest I used it was an hour or so, but I DID give it time to cool off when I felt it getting hot).

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I figure if your gonna go all out . .Might as well get a Compressor and a Pneumatic Rotary tool.
    On second thought . .I think that 2272 is probably as good as it gets. Got a Foot Pedal and everything!

yeah compressors and pneumatics are not only noisy as hell but they suck up your electric bill with a few hours of work. Not great for late-night modding
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

lol...my thread got a bit longer than expected...

I think the motor just gave out on me... i tried to give it a lot of time to cool down too... ... guess its really not up to what I wanted from it...

hmm... should I buy another dremel and be extra careful?... or just get a jigsaw and a good sized drill bit (for starting jigsaw cuts)

It might just be the motor brushes are worn out. Take off the plastic screw caps (carefull to note how they go back, direction counts. use a piece of chalk to mark them) and inspect the brushes. they should be at least 5/16ths long. If they are ground down, replace them. Also try blowing out any dust or metal from the exhaust ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    It might just be the motor brushes are worn out. Take off the plastic screw caps (carefull to note how they go back, direction counts. use a piece of chalk to mark them) and inspect the brushes. they should be at least 5/16ths long. If they are ground down, replace them. Also try blowing out any dust or metal from the exhaust ports.
    I'll try that when I get home today....

thanks!

also, don't be affraid to take the brushes out first, then the screws off the cover (including the front plastic housing ring) and expose the motor. If its dead, there is no harm done. Once open, you can try lubricating the bearings with light oil and cleaning out any particles. The only tricky part you may encounter is getting the switch back in place if it happens to pop out. No worries, just align it all and pop the cover back on.

It's just a motor inside, nothing to spring and pop out at you. If you want, open it up and take a pic. I'll show you the trouble spots to work on that may get it up and running like new.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 07-03-2007 at 09:58 AM.

ok - I will open it up, check the brushes and post a pic sometime this week when I get a chance... thanks a ton!

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

if you do end up buying another dremel i wouldnt advise that black and decker one. i have it and after 5mins of "medium" use the motor starts to make a weird noise the only thing i can do is make sure i dont cover the air vents on the side
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500