Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First "Mod"

Austral Alien

Default Re: First "Mod"

Your PCi slots are in the wrong spot for a BTX layout, which looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

But I measured the motherboard earlier and it came out to be ~10.5" x ~10.5", and the micro BTX is the closest thing to those dimensions.

Anyways, I gotta get to bed. I will be back in about 8 hours. Thanks for any/all help ^_^

Austral Alien

It's probably a Dell motherboard and has it's own dimensions. See how the BTX layout is, if that was in your case the PCI slots would be at the top of the case, not at the bottom.
    You don't have PCI Express slots either, just PCI. PCIe 8x and 16x is the video card slot, PCIe x1 is a small black slot, less than half the length of your white slots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Oh, that makes sense to me. But then doesn't that mean I have no choice except to get a new motherboard if I ever had to get a new case?

I'm now also convinced that my graphic card is overheating, since thats what everyone I talk to says is probably going on. And that Radeon's have a history of overheating. So what im wondering is how I could go about getting another fan in my computer..

Being a Dell of course they had to go try to make it easy open or something, so they made it open like a clam, and has a metal interior and plastic exterior therefore making it pretty hard to cut any kind of holes in the case without messing something else up. So the only option I seem to have left is a 3.5"x2.5" bay fan to go in the front and draw air in, so my fan in the back can suck it out to have a constant flow. But I cant find any with those dimensions =(

***EDIT*** Scratch that, there is no possible way a new fan will even help me. My computer is completely trashed. After many years of heavy usage, its finally dying on me. My sound card no longer works, so I have to use the on board sound. My video card wont work, so I have to use my bros which apparently doesn't support direct x. So I cant play any games, and other minor problems.. What I plan on doing is getting a motherboard with a case that it fits in (Nothing fancy). And using the RAM from my current computer in it, along with my brothers video cards. Then once I save up the money I will get a new video card.

Does anyone think that is a bad plan?

if you get a new mobo, what are you going to transfer over? the cpu, ram, hdd, cd/dvd drives, and brothers video card? i personally would save up the cash and buy a new pc altogether, your not going to be able to get much more use out of a 5-6 year old pc, pending your a current gamer.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

If I were to get a new mobo, I would have to get a case (I looked on my mobo and its a dell ), but I would hope to be able to transfer over the RAM, DVD drives(2), hard drive, processor, and video card. Then I would slowly update as it comes necessary.

But I guess getting a new computer itself would be a good idea too, except i'm having the problems right now - not in a month or two when I have the money for a whole new PC.

Trust me, wait a month or two.

I find upgrading to be a pain in rear. Adding more RAM can be fine up to a point. With this day and age of SLI cards, starting with one and buying a second one a few months later is acceptable.

Not worth upgrading a PC thats 5-ish years old, least of all for gaming. Most of the newer hardware isn't going to be compatible with older tech, and even if it is the older stuff will be more prone to failure or hold back the performance of the new parts.

I'm running a Athlon xp 2100+, 1gb RAM, and a Geforce4 TI4600 right now. As soon as intels quad-core processor drops this month (rumor mill has it going for 266$ around the 22nd) I plan on getting a new PC altogether. After I copy what I need from my old 60bg HD over to my new 500GB one, the old system gets wiped, cleaned up, and given over to my mom.

Alright, you guys know A LOT more about this stuff then I do, so I will take your advice and wait ^_^, but I am ordering a new graphic card. The Radeon X1600XT for $74.99 to tide me over for another couple years, then I will be off to college and wont have to worry as much about gaming =D

like i said i think its best to wait for a new pc. i know its not fun but it will be once you have a new rig. i'm still saving for my pc, about 3000 with water cooling. right now i have a case, floppy drive, and dvd drive. i will be getting a power supply next maybe. unless there are really good sales on other parts.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

But to save for a new PC it would take me a few months =/ being 15 and all, and I don't think even you could go a few months without doing what you love.